5.0 leaking out oil

SmokeytheFox

5 Year Member
Jul 19, 2018
Cleveland,Ohio
For the past few days I’ve been trying to figure out where this leak is coming from. When I start the car cold no oil drips out. After about 15 minutes of warming up, oil comes running out the backside of the engine while running. Could this be a rear main seal or oil pan gasket? Is it common for it to leak this BAD ? Pic is from a video. Car is basically undriveable because of the leak.

Attachments

• C7FA3DB6-1161-4024-B134-788A9149258C.png
    C7FA3DB6-1161-4024-B134-788A9149258C.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 220
  • Sponsors (?)

I agree, but I will ad if the car has a lot of miles I would pick up a crank repair sleeve and seal.
I've also heard about the flywheel bolts needing thread sealant because oil can seep through the threads but I personally use thread locker on them and have never encountered that problem. Just thought I'd mention it.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, but I will ad if the car has a lot of miles I would pick up a crank repair sleeve and seal.
I've also heard about the flywheel bolts needing thread sealant because oil can seep through the threads but I personally use thread locker on them and have never encountered that problem. Just thought I'd mention it.
Previous owner claimed it was “rebuilt” but who knows what that means lol. Is it ok to add the sleeve even if the crank has no groove mark in it ?

Yes, the sleeve will come with a seal.
Or at least it should.

It's a separate purchase. Felpro makes a sleeve, and an install tool. With the tool, it was very easy to put on. I then returned it as it looked new.

It was tough to see the groove on my crankshaft, but with the light held the right way, you could see it. Engine only had 100k miles on it as well.

Reactions: 1 user
It is annoying how very little wear can cause a big leak. Yes, the sleeve is fine even without a noticeable wear ring. The seal will just fit a little tighter with the thin sleeve, and any new wear will be on the replaceable sleeve.

I had to have a machine shop make a sleeve for a rarer pinion shaft that the catalog missed for size. Not seating the seal quite all the way in just made another ring that leaked again. The machine shop’s repair sleeve dried up that differential and was not as expensive as a salvage yard part that probably also needed fixed. The pre made ones are a slick deal and worth a try.

Previous owner claimed it was “rebuilt” but who knows what that means lol. Is it ok to add the sleeve even if the crank has no groove mark in it ?

I did not see anything about this being an 'offset' seal. Nothing in the link or the part number from the manufacturer.
And why would a sleeve be a last resort? Just curious.

Says it all right here. Took 10 seconds on Google. OFFSET DOUBLE LIP REAR MAIN SEAL.

I personally sleeve cranks as a last resort because there's really no going back to an offset seal. If you go offset seal first, then still have problems, then you can sleeve the crank. The point is you get more than one try at it..

I’m ready to learn something today. Why will an offset seal not wrk with a quick sleeve???? The Felpro Counter Pro certification never mentioned anything about that.

Says it all right here. Took 10 seconds on Google. OFFSET DOUBLE LIP REAR MAIN SEAL.

I personally sleeve cranks as a last resort because there's really no going back to an offset seal. If you go offset seal first, then still have problems, then you can sleeve the crank. The point is you get more than one try at it..

I did not see anything about this being an 'offset' seal. Nothing in the link or the part number from the manufacturer.
And why would a sleeve be a last resort? Just curious.

1596982672994.png

1596982788596.png

Why will an offset seal not wrk with a quick sleeve????

...and this although, I'm not sure why you would need an offset seal and quick sleeve.

and finally this:

why would you 'go back'?

:shrug: I dunno why either.

@Bird76Mojo says the sleeve is the last resort because there is really no going back to an offset seal. Why? If your sleeve gets a ring, why would an offset seal not still work? I would probably replace the sleeve, but they are not supposed to be thick enough to be a problem with a viton seal.

If you hit the link in post #12 the page that comes up from ebay says nothing about it being an offset anything. That's all. Not a big deal, I had not heard of one, so this debate can end.
And I'm sure a repair sleeve can be removed, not that you would ever need to, if you doubt it just send me a crankshaft with a repair sleeve on it and I will show you how.