5.0 Longest engine life possible??????

revedup

Nov 18, 2005
S.F. Cal,
:SNSign: Alright Stangsters whats your longest running 5.0 engine stock or otherwise?
A 5.0 engine thats never been apart for valves rebuild ect??
Mine at present is an 89 with 216,000 miles at present and still going strong mated to a stick
Cars all stock though if that matters????:shrug: !!!!!

Also to all those who rebuilt there 5.0 H.O. mustang engines.
Were the bores in good enough shape to simply hone and install rings????
You know maybe even with the crosshatch original hone marks still visible?????
At what miles were your engines needing rebuilds?????????

• Sponsors (?)

wow to be on the original tranny is good....but the original clutch=AMAZING:hail2:

how have you managed that? easy driving??

My first fitty had 155,000 on it and all was stock except the clutch. It ran flawlessly.

NOW, my current one has 94k, but I have more than doubled the output of the engine and I still have the stock clutch! Ran 12's all day long with the supercharger and Nitto DR's doing burnouts and what not. Plenty of racin too....:shrug: well see how long it lasts, but all is well now!

Had an old '86 grand marquis with the lo-po 180 horse 5.0 that my grandpa owned and maintained meticulously until my dad bought it with around 100K on it; we ended up putting 254,000 miles total on it before we got rid of it due to rusted out brake lines. I kind of regret not hacking it back together to see where it would have finally died. We were horrible to that thing the last 15K or so of it's life; just beat the crap out of it trying to kill it. The tranny was really slow to downshift, and even when it did, the poor compressionless motor wouldn't do much to get you moving. We eventually just used it to make runs to the junkyard and to the farm I worked at a mile away. It used so much oil at the end of it's life that it was kind of ridiculous; it got to the point that we'd just pour used oil in versus new. I remember putting a bunch of bar & chain oil for a chainsaw in it once when I was late for a party......... The engine was original and untouched, but the wierd thing about this car is that the AOD was also original and unmolested.

wait until jrhichker gets here. he has over 400.xxx k i know dont remember if his has been apart or not.

dont mind me im at 94,000.

what do you highmilers do about your lifters, mine tick like crazy, would taking it apart to fix that be considered taking it apart?

what do you highmilers do about your lifters, mine tick like crazy, would taking it apart to fix that be considered taking it apart?

Nothing. You probably just have one or two that are gummed up/stuck. I've used this stuff called 'marvel mystery oil' in the past with good luck. Just add some to your oil, run for a while, then drain and replace your oil. You'll know right away whether it worked or not; that stuff cleaned out my lifters within a few minutes of idling.