5.0 Swap Radiator Hoses

tx65coupe

Nov 29, 1999
Does anyone know if one of the Mustang Parts Houses offers hoses for a 5.0 conversion on a 65 Mustang?

I have the reverse rotation water pump. The upper radiator hose is on the passenger side and the thermostat housing faces almost straight up. The lower radiator hose is on the driver side.

I know that stock V8 replacement hoses will not work. I have tried flexible radiator hoses from Advance Auto and they really don't work either. This is especially true of the lower one, which kinks and collapses. I have tried several different lengths and can't make one of these type of hoses work.

I was hoping someone else that had converted to a 5.0 had some part numbers for hoses they used that fit well.

:(

• Sponsors (?)

for the upper hose try an upper hose from an 80's 5.0 mustang. That's what I used on my '66 granted I have an aftermarket radiator. Here's a pic of my 5.0 Radiator hose.

attachment.php

The stock upper hose for a 5.0 Fox Mustang should work. For the lower hose, you should do one of two things.
1. Buy a 5.0 swap radiator
2. Take your stock radiator to a radiator shop and have them move the lower outlet over to the Driver's side.

I have a 5.0 swap radiator.

I looked at a 5.0 upper hose, but didn't think it would fit. Thats cool that it works. What did you do for the lower one?

I finally found some Gates flex hoses that are garaunteed to to collapse. I got them at Orielly's. They are both 13 inches long and one is 1.5 ID and the other is 1.75 ID.

Good lower hose, and another option for upper hose

For the lower hose, you can use a LOWER rad hose for a 1971 Maverick 302, NAPA #NBH 7470, Gates # 20702. This fits really nice when the radiator has a drivers side outlet.

Another possibility for an upper hose, if things get in the way (like a supercharger), is to use a LOWER rad hose for a 1986-1990 Bronco II 2.9L manual trans, NAPA #NBH 8427, Gates # 21736
(Please excuse the nasty looking oil line to the s/c)

IMG_1367.jpg

I know this thread is older, but I'm finally getting around to doing this. I got tired of looking at the flex hoses. I also suspect the lower hose is leaking.

I picked up a lower Bronco II hose to use as an upper, and a 70 Maverick hose for the lower.

I'm going to work on fitting them up. Now if I can just find the new lower hose spring I had.

The Bronco II hose Gates 21736 works great for the upper, or at least it fits nicely anyway.

The Maverick or 351C hose Gates 20702 is shaped right and fits the radiator, but will not fit the water pump. Its too small on that end. Its 1.5, and I need it to be 1.75 inches.

I need another solution for the lower hose. Anybody?

I am a couple weeks out from this same problem (a couple more odds and ends to wrap up). I went to a drivers side out electric pump (and can't put the outlet on the other side due to alternator and crank trigger). If you figure something out can you post it? If I get to it first I will. I was planning on flex hose, but would prefer not to if I could.

I tried that lower hose. It would have been perfect, but was too small for the water pump. Its only 1.75 on the radiator end and 1.5 on the water pump end. I need it to be 1.75 on both ends.

Someone did recommend Gates 20674 for a 1970 Fairlane. I'm going to see what that one looks and fits like. Orielly's had to order it, so I should have it Saturday.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between 302 and 351 for that year. It was a Gates 20702. It would be perfect (I think), if it was 1.75 inches on both ends.

Well the Fairlane hose Gates 20674 came in today. I ended up shortening it, because I though it would work. Well, no dice. So I wasted 15 bucks.

I'm really in need of some help here. I'm not sure what else to try.