5-lug brake upgrade questions!

hemi_fan

Apr 8, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I know, these have been asked 1000000 times before, but Matt's page is down and i dunno what to do!! Ive had a stroke of luck! Heres what happened... a guy I know has 2 field cars, 1 83' Ranger... and an Aerostar. Last week, i realized i could use an axle off each and asked if i could have em once the cars were toast. THIS WEEKEND, he rolled teh ranger and the aerostar's rear suspension collapsed ! (what luck for me eh?) But since matt's site is down, im real confused.
1. I read the brakes are 10" on the aerostar, 9" on the ranger... should i keep the 9" brakes, or can I change to 10" w/o having to change the lines/booster/anything like that?
2. If I get these, and convert to rear discs, will I be able to use regular SN95 wheels with them, or will the spacing be wrong?
3. If I use Mark VII front rotors, is the Dust cap the only problem? Or will the rotor hit sn95 wheels? Cuz im sure a big hammer will fix the dust cap w/o any problems.

• Sponsors (?)

hemi_fan said:
1. I read the brakes are 10" on the aerostar, 9" on the ranger... should i keep the 9" brakes, or can I change to 10" w/o having to change the lines/booster/anything like that?
2. If I get these, and convert to rear discs, will I be able to use regular SN95 wheels with them, or will the spacing be wrong?
3. If I use Mark VII front rotors, is the Dust cap the only problem? Or will the rotor hit sn95 wheels? Cuz im sure a big hammer will fix the dust cap w/o any problems.

1)Use the 9'' drums

2)Can't help you on this one

3)I have the Mark rotors on mine and just tried to put a Bullitt wheel on there so I know for a fact it won't fit without some work. Not just the hammer either but you would have to grind the lip on the rotor hub. The Bullitt wheel would not fully seat up against the rotor. I believe only the older R wheels will work or ones that use a large cover like the 94-95 Cobra wheels.

All you have to do is swap the studs for three inchers and use 7/8ths spacers and you can put any rims you want on it. How do I know because I have done it, and I am currently doing it. I'm running 235s on 99 cobras with no issues. In fact it helps clear the inner fenderwells if your car is lowered, so no rubbing. Not sure how it is with 245s. Matt is an asshat and he just got his info from other people. So he isnt any genious, he just piled all the swaps onto one site. As for the rear brakes. You can do an SN95 disc brake swap for less than $400 using all new parts. Get the brackets from North Cobra Brakes and the rest from the parts store. A hammer wont do much because the castle nut isnt too far behind the dust cap. And no the 7/8ths spacers will not move the rim out too far. Look at my car at Cardomain.com. Name is Smockdoiley on there too.

P.S. the studs you need you can get from summitracing along with the spacers. I believe I used moroso studs. Call the tech guy at Summit and tell him your combo. Also, you can get 5-lug front rotors that are slotted for less than $90 brand new from TMD or others on Ebay.

hemi_fan said:
^^ did you get the Bullitt wheels to fit after the grinding tho? or would you not reccomend that? Im on a bit of a budget, but i could just save up till winter and to the SN95 front swap i guess.

I didn't even bother grinding them.

I considered doing it the way Smock outlined but wanted to be able to upgrade to larger brakes in the future. I'm just going to scour the yards for the SN95 set-up instead.

FWIW MPS sells the 94-95 set-up for about $329 plus shipping for the fronts. It's all used stuff but you should be able to find it cheaper in the yards.

i did a 5 lug conversion on my 88 lx and used the mark rotors. with 97 cobra wheels it works fine or the spider aluminum wheels work also. as for the rear disc set up, the north race cars brackets let you use your fox length axles. the sn95 axles push the wheels out another 3/4 inch on each side, but you can use the stock or cobra brackets. i used the sn95 axles and do not have any problems with 245/45zr17 tires. i am going to swap for the sn95 spindles so i can use the cobra/bullit/mach1 brakes. :flag:

SmockDoiley said:
All you have to do is swap the studs for three inchers and use 7/8ths spacers and you can put any rims you want on it. How do I know because I have done it, and I am currently doing it.\

Can you say moment arm?!

and goodbye scrub radius...