Drivetrain 5 Lug Conversion

78ghia5.0

Feb 27, 2008
michigan
With keeping the stock 8" what are my options. I know about the granada and maverick but also heard Aerostar axles? And what kinda trimming is needed if I use the maverick axles? An is it true that a 66 axle would bolt right in? Sorry but got a lot on my mind since mustangii.net is down lol.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, there's a ton of great info there that's being held up with their system issues. IIRC Granada axles were bolt-on, Aerostar was the drums you could use I don't think axles. I'd seen that the '66 axles had some small differences in length and retainer differences and I don't recall if they were able to make them work. You can also just have your existing axles re-drilled. This is all from memory as I just used spacers myself to go to 5-lug which also gave me the right backspacing to use modern Mustang wheels. Your best bet is to use the Facebook page they have temporarily linked through mustangii.net, seems like there's plenty of activity there.

If I'm remembering right, it could be done in the front with 70s Granada front rotors (1981 and 1982 were 4-lug fox-chassis cars), and GM "metric" calipers (like used on the 80s Camaros, Monte Carlos, and S10s), and some adapter plates. Speedway has the plates or full kits available.

On the rear, I believe it was a pair of early 80s Ranger drums and two axle shafts from the same side on an early 80's Ranger.

If I'm remembering right, it could be done in the front with 70s Granada front rotors (1981 and 1982 were 4-lug fox-chassis cars), and GM "metric" calipers (like used on the 80s Camaros, Monte Carlos, and S10s), and some adapter plates. Speedway has the plates or full kits available.

On the rear, I believe it was a pair of early 80s Ranger drums and two axle shafts from the same side on an early 80's Ranger.

Speedway also has the front rotors available in 5-lug that are stock size, if you wanted to retain your stock braking system. I have those and they worked great (though I did use a 1" adapter for my SN95 wheels).

Reactions: 1 user