5 lug rear axles

foxbodybill89

Jan 19, 2020
Sioux Falls, SD
Kind of upgrading things a little at a time, I'm wanting to do the rear end and 5 lug conversion at the same time without upgrading to disc brakes for now. Looking at the Moser A883151 and A883151SN axles and it looks like the only difference is the SN disc axles have a larger hub centric. I'd really like to be able to use drums for now and convert to disc later without buying new axles again, has anyone machined out a drum to use on the SN flange axles? I'd wait and do the 5 lug conversion and big disc brakes all around with my suspension upgrades later but I'm really wanting to put new wheels on sooner without waiting for the budget to do everything.

• Sponsors (?)

If looking for budget 5lug on the rear, pick up some used square body Ranger or Aerostar axles (driver side on Ranger, passenger side on Aerostar). Can use drums from both with stock Mustang shoes and hardware. When you upgrade suspension and go 4 wheel discs you can upgrade your axles then.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
This is coming from someone who was done the 5 lug disc conversion at least 10 times. Just do it once, and do it right. You can still do it on a budget. Used SN 94/95 front spindles and brakes, a compete rear end out of a 94/95 with disc brakes already there. Yes there may be a need to swap to fox length axles, but even that is not a bank breaker. Impatience costs money. trust me. If you start gathering the parts as you find them it won't be that bad. Find a junked 94 or 95 Mustang and get ALL of the parts from it. Doing it this way is cheaper than the LMR "Budget" swap which gives you center cap fitment issues among other things.

• Useful
5L5 that looks like just the ticket, I was thinking some sort of spacer with the smaller axle would be better. I think I will end up waiting like SSP suggested, the wheels I want to run will have center cap issues if I temporarily run 5 lug Fox style front rotors. I will eventually have a MM tubular setup so would run the 96-04 spindles for the lower steering arm position- again, a problem unless I do it all at once. Thanks guys.