5 Lugs?

1sxyFoxbody

Active User
Dec 25, 2015
Okay guys, we are expecting another bundle of joy so...the mustang budget is getting cut back. I had asked about suspension in another thread and general consensus is, I need better tires. So, heres my issue. Not TONS of money. I drive my car often so I hate to put drag radials on my daily wheels. I have a pair of 15x8 convo pros that came with the car but no matching fronts. (Found them for 250 ea online). They are 4 lug, and so are the chrome cobra Rs that are on my car. I have a rear bearing beginning to squeel. So..someone recommended doing the 5 lug swap now. My question is..if I'm this close to just getting matching fronts, would I be okay just doing the tires for the convo pros and matching some fronts, or, would I benefit that much by swapping parts now to a 5 lug and then having the expense of new wheels and tires? Just seeing where the line is between saving money and being safe is. Thank you in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

IMO- you have a child on the way. Priorities. First thing is fix the bad axle bearing and then look drive it as is unless it is a safety issue, then look at the classifieds for a set of 4 lug wheels and tires. Save up for when you can do a 5 lug disc brake swap with the wheels and tires.

Reactions: 1 users
IMO- you have a child on the way. Priorities. First thing is fix the bad axle bearing and then look drive it as is unless it is a safety issue, then look at the classifieds for a set of 4 lug wheels and tires. Save up for when you can do a 5 lug disc brake swap with the wheels and tires.
We have more than one child. We prioritize fine. It just means I can't throw thousands at a time towards any of my hobbies or hers. More like hundreds. Our kids come first so no worries with that. Im simply asking what direction to go on a lower budget. I will be taking it to the track for weekend runs. Just for fun. Its only been 13.84 blowing the tires off through second. Wheel bearing needs replaced and just wondering if I can do better 4 lug axles to work for the next couple of years until I want to attack a full on swap.

Traction and sticky tires is what breaks axles.
Upgraded axles add more splines.
So you would need a traction loc carrier to match them.
Stock is 28, then it goes to 31.

Okay, I had read about 31 splines. If I upgrade to 31 splines, and the traction loc carrier..how hard is that to switch out? I have never taken a rear end apart at all. I am decently competent about things but, are there any special tools I would need or am I going to need to find someone else to do this? Also after reading, looks like there are shims and such ill need to install. Is it tough to do?

Last edited:
There is a reason people collect parts to do 5 lug all at once, there are very few ways to do it at separate times and not waste money.

I'd probably wait to take the rear apart until you have the wheels, then do all four at once.
If you aren't into spending a couple grand at once (understandably) i'd do Lincoln rotors up front and ranger 5 lug axles and drums out back.
If you want to go 31 spline, use an 03 cobra locker then get moser 5 lug axles and you can still do the drums for now.

When you have more money you can do brake upgrades.

Read some rear rebuild how to's. It's not for everyone.

I think I'll probably just do the 31 spline swap and stay 4 lug. Seems the best idea over all. With that wheel bearing needing done, I'll have to pull them anyways, or at least the one. Any specific ones to use then for sure if Im just doing a 31 spline set up and staying 4 lug?

Moser 31 spline 4 lug fox length axles.
Note that this may make the rebuild a little more complex.
You will likely have to mark the gears and then shim the new 31 spline carrier to match the wear pattern.

If you just rebuilt the stock unit with a carbon clutch pack, most likely it would go back together the same way you took it apart. Always check, but in theory it should.

The new axles will probably come with screw in studs, which are going to be too long. So if they do, buy yourself some shorter ones. Impossible to install once the axles are in. Any decorative lug nut will bottom out and unscrew the stud, nothing like tearing up an entire drum (which I did).

Honestly, if you are staying 4 lug, but not for life, i'd probably rebuild the carrier, change the bearings and slap it back together.

Reactions: 1 users
Rebuilding a rear is not a simple thing if youve never done and arent sure how... poor results can cause allot of issues in their own right.
A good shop can do it in a day and you have it done right, Id still stay 28 spline until you go 5 lug... and not rebuild the trac loc if its not acting up....

Reactions: 1 user
If you truly are going to go 5 lug in the near future(next couple years) I'd just stay with the stock axles, and rebuild everything that you need(axle bearings,shims,trac lock,etc) and then just get your matching front wheels/tires you want. 5 lug conversion is going to be minimally 1500-2000$ with wheels/tires etc.

Will stock axles be okay at the track with roughly 400 hp? Just worried about snapping them. Isnt the race made on the axle? So i will need new axles anyways? Or am i wrong? Thanks for the input guys

I agree with 89oem, i was trying to feel out your skill level before i just suggested you pay someone. I think it's one of those jobs it's best to learn from someone in person than to watch a youtube video.
What i don't agree with is not rebuilding the carrier. It's out, might as well put carbon clutches in there, they are only $100. I'd hate to have to drain the rear, put it apart and do it again. Unless you know the carriers history.

I doubt you will break stock axles. Going to take a lot of power and probably a dead hook from slicks.
Could you break one? Anything is possible. But there are probably only a handful of guys here that have done it.

Last edited: