5w-20 or 5w-30? doesn't matter, right?

• Sponsors (?)

I started pumping gas at about 10 years old, I just turned 64
Baby, I'm 71.
crying_baby.jpg

Been doing it for decades and enough miles to make it to the Sun.
Baby, I'm 71.
crying_baby.jpg
And your point there 'old man'? (I've want to say that again for a long time)
Are you cry'n cause of all the money you saved waiting till 10k miles to change your oil?
It's not a bad thing to let it go that long, you have to take care of stuff for it to last, I just have some quirky habbits, and the dump truck did a lot of idling so I had the oil tested at 6-7-8k mile oil changes and found that 7k was the 'sweet' spot, I've used the same brand, weight semi-synthetic for it's entire 600k mile life,
Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance at what ever mileage works, right?
Oh and the distance is almost 93 million miles, that's a lot of oil changes!! :jester:

Last edited:
And your point there 'old man'? (I've want to say that again for a long time)
Are you cry'n cause of all the money you saved waiting till 10k miles to change your oil?
It's not a bad thing to let it go that long, you have to take care of stuff for it to last, I just have some quirky habbits, and the dump truck did a lot of idling so I had the oil tested at 6-7-8k mile oil changes and found that 7k was the 'sweet' spot, I've used the same brand, weight semi-synthetic for it's entire 600k mile life,
Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance at what ever mileage works, right?
Oh and the distance is almost 93 million miles, that's a lot of oil changes!! :jester:
Absolutely! Semi-synthetic and a dump truck, 7K at the longest. The Mustang is so pampered. Garaged, no driving in the rain and my DD is a Focus. I used to be partners in a garage many moons ago and got to see the benefits of the syn. oil. When it first came out I thought it was a "snake oil" with the many dire stories of the damage it did, most were bogus, but I found out first hand it would find a marginal gasket and leak(not as bad as ARCO Graphite though). I might have exaggerated a little on the 93 million miles though.:doh:

So, my wife’s ‘19 Cherokee has that “oil life %” readout as you scroll through the gauges. What do these new cars use to base the % on? Time, mileage, some sort of sensor?
None of my vehicles get a ton of mileage, so I’m always changing it based on time, cause it’s “been a while”, and far before a mileage change would be warranted.
The Cherokee, I’ve changed once it hits the 35% left mark (only 2 changes so far).

What do these new cars use to base the % on? Time, mileage, some sort of sensor?
Yes.

Different manufacturers use different methods, but all of those are in use on various vehicles. There are also cars that monitor your driving and adjust oil life accordingly using an algorithm.

I'm not sure which method Fiat used on the Cherokee.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes.

Different manufacturers use different methods, but all of those are in use on various vehicles. There are also cars that monitor your driving and adjust oil life accordingly using an algorithm.

I'm not sure which method Fiat used on the Cherokee.
They just flipped a coin
Heads=light on
Tails= light off

They just flipped a coin
Heads=light on
Tails= light off
With Fiat, nothing surprises me.

Seeing a Jeep Renegade's TCM self destruct when a battery was replaced and an oil life monitor that wouldn't reset using the method prescribed in the owner's manual in a Cherokee (which went absolutely schizo when a scan tool was hooked up to it to do it that way), among other things, leaves little room for anything to catch me off-guard with them.

The oil manufacturers use time/mileage for changing(except for severe usage), I would guess the car maker uses the recommended oil for it by them and using the recommendation from the oil maker. Or a large dart board.