6# KB vs Turbo RX7

BuffaloZone

Oct 14, 2003
Not supposed to street race, but this '93 RX7 pulled up and kept jacking with me and giving me the "go first" hand wave. Thinking that they came from the factory with a turbo...I figured I'd get the jump on him if he had any "lag" problems, but he instantly pulled away pretty fast with zero lag so the 1st thing I thought was that he was running Nitrous. He pulled away from me pretty good - I'm guessing that he had about 3 or 4 car lengths on me in about a 3 second race. To put it in prospective, he beat me about as bad as I beat a 2004 Impala SS.

Will the 6# KB (with KB 75mm TB, MAF, and "Big" CAI) be enough?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

get J.A.T.O and you will definately have him

seriously though, you might want to get your car to the shop. even with turbo upgrades you shouldnt lose to any rx7 with a gt mustang. You might have problems with your car......

j/k

Jackie Chan said:
get J.A.T.O and you will definately have him

seriously though, you might want to get your car to the shop. even with turbo upgrades you shouldnt lose to any rx7 with a gt mustang. You might have problems with your car......

j/k

That's why I mentioned the Nitrous...
Seemed like he peaked at the 4 car lengths and then he hit the brakes real quick, like he was going into "save engine" mode. Getting low on Nitros or afraid to run the stuff for more than 3 or 4 seconds? :shrug:

Hope the #6 KB will be what I'm looking for, because I really don't want to change internals in the engine, trans, and rear end.

What 1/4 mile times do you think you are running with your setup? Rx7's have a smaller turbo that helps with the spoolup before the bigger one kicks in, so there isn't really much "lag" to speak of. With bolt-ons they can get into the 12's, and with aftermarket twins i've seen them in the low 11's with quick spoolup. Nitrous is pretty uncommon on rotaries.

ocelot said:
What 1/4 mile times do you think you are running with your setup? Rx7's have a smaller turbo that helps with the spoolup before the bigger one kicks in, so there isn't really much "lag" to speak of. With bolt-ons they can get into the 12's, and with aftermarket twins i've seen them in the low 11's with quick spoolup. Nitrous is pretty uncommon on rotaries.
wait we are talking about nitrous...he's been saying NITROs

if he pulled you that fast, I would go with the 9 PSI kit. i have seen a red one in our town with the plate "RED RKT" and MAN it sounded HORRABLE!!!! Just a LOUD mono tone, no depth to it at all, probably the worst i heve ever heard....anyways I was at the track in the lanes and see that 93 RX7 again with the some plates a few cars in front of me. So I was like lets see what he runs..he was staged next to a Z06 corvette...and he murdered the vette with like a 11.9x @ 12X LOL...I was like WHOOAAAAA! glad i didnt run him, was in my 66 when we saw him so it may have been fairly close...but i dont think the 66 with trap 120 with 8.5-1 compression. Need to buy my novi.

hotmustang331 said:
if he pulled you that fast, I would go with the 9 PSI kit. i have seen a red one in our town with the plate "RED RKT" and MAN it sounded HORRABLE!!!! Just a LOUD mono tone, no depth to it at all, probably the worst i heve ever heard....

Pretty much what every rotary sounds like. Can't exactly make a non-ricey sound out of 1.3L, heh

:shrug:
Jackie Chan said:
wait we are talking about nitrous...he's been saying NITROs

Yes, we're talking nitroUs :D and not a superman turbo. If the guy had a really neat turbo setup that he was really proud of...he sure didn't act like it. I passed him about 5 or 6 miles earlier at 65MPH he was probably at 60MPH. Funny how he dropped way back and stayed there for about 5 minutes...and then all-of-a-sudden...he got real brave - looked like a "bottle warming" delay to me, or something. And when I pulled up beside his driver's door after his 3 second race he just started playing with his radio and pretended that he was seeing something outside his right side glass and started dropping way back behind me...way below the posted speed limit. Seemed like he was afraid to ask any more from his engine, or like his bottle of mighty mouse juice emptied out on his first run. :shrug: