64 1/2 gas gauge reads empty

tbr

Oct 19, 2018
CO
My gas gauge reads empty with 5 gallons of gas. It is a new sending unit. All the wiring harnesses have been replaced in the car. I did an ohm sweep and the sending unit reads 10-70 ohms on the bench. I removed the new sending unit and it works outside of the tank. The gas gauge reads correctly in the different levels (empty, half, full) outside the tank. When I reinstall it in the tank, it reads empty and 63 ohms. I tried an additional ground to the sending unit while it was in the tank and there was no change. Thanks in advance for any suggestion! My friend's 66 Falcon has the same issue.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi Shem,
Thanks for the reply. But why does it read empty and 63 ohms? Full is around 10 ohms and empty is 70. After putting 5 gallons in wouldn't it read more than empty?
Sorry a little confused on this one.
Thanks!!!

That might be a gauge issue or old wire causing no or lower ohms at the gauge. Maybe your gauge isnt that sensitive and the 63 ohms isnt enuf to make it move from empty. Does the gauge work if you move the float up and down by hand?

shem

Hi Shem,
I bent the float down 1-1/4" and it works!! :) the gauge reads just over 1/4 with 4.5 gallons. And it reads on the empty line with no gas.
thanks for all your help.
Glenn

Reactions: 1 user