65-6 aftermarket disc brakes

hipo_p51

Jun 13, 2008
hi all. would like to know about your aftermarket brakes on your 65-6 mustang. i have a stock disc set up with kevlar compound racing pads, all brake hoses are steel braided, and rear 11" shoes. i am looking for something with a little better braking performance. I run 16" wheels. i like the size, so i will not change this setup. I like the look with my 11" drums, so i will not change this too. i am looking only for a better set of discs that fit and stop well. no power assist please.
thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I run the Mustang Steve '05 - up front conversion. This set-up requires 17" wheels though....

Rears are '00 Crown-Vic disc..

Non-power, car not drivable yet. No opinion on how it works. With the weight of these cars, I anticipate it being just fine.

If you already have the factory style discs, I would leave it alone.

I have non power brakes with Granada front and Versailles rear and it stops really well.

similar question

I have a similar question to hipo_p51... except i was plannin on 17 inch wheels. since i am in the plannin and research and buying phase of my build i have been curious about which brakes would be the best... I am plannin on a lot of power so i need good whoa button... i just dont know who would have best with out costing an arm and a leg.. have 66 factory disc at the moment and have rear disc as well just wondering about upgrading calipers and rotors and such... any suggestions on vendors or parts... dont really wanna go the newer swaps though

If you already have the factory style discs, I would leave it alone.

I have non power brakes with Granada front and Versailles rear and it stops really well.

Yup, Granada front does just fine IMO unless your doing some sort of driving that requires lots of braking. For 90% of the classic stangs just cruising the streets, they are more than enough IMO.

I could lay on mine pretty damn hard at Woodburn and slow from 130mph with no issues.

Now if your planning some auto cross or open track stuff they aren't going to work so hot.

thanks for the replies so far. But does any one recommend a specific brand that out performs the oem disc? cobra auto has a 12" disc set up. anyone have any pros and cons with these?

Mustang Steve has Cobra style brakes. I'm not interested in any of that, becaust you have to run larger wheels for almost all the aftermarket brakes. I can't stand the look of large wheels.

thanks for the replies so far. But does any one recommend a specific brand that out performs the oem disc? cobra auto has a 12" disc set up. anyone have any pros and cons with these?

Don't know about the Cobra Automotive brakes first-hand, but IIRC they use the "big" Kelsey-Hayes calipers, just like the Ford SCCA Trans-Am racers did in the late '60s. Pricey, but they will fit a 16" wheel.

Depending on how much more braking power you're after (or if an updated appearance is also important), take a look at Stainless Steel Brakes' A198 caliper kit - it is a modernized set of calipers that fit your factory caliper brackets.

I like that kit. So much so I build my own:
trans-am10.jpg

:)

Shaun66,very nice. so this setup is the exact oem spec as the 11" stockers, except they are 12" rotors and big calipers?

Bill

Nothing like it. 12x1.25" directionally vented 2 piece rotors with aluminum hats, seperate hub, big KH calipers finished in high temp, chemical resistant finish, Porterfield R4-S and/or R4 pads. Serious performance boost over stock, Granada and pretty much anything else that will fit inside a 15" wheel.

I don't post much over here, I wish I could but don't have enough time. We had a pretty lengthy disscussion on VMF - Big brakes for little wheels - Vintage Mustang Forums

Hope I don't get busted for linking to another site!

thanks for al the juicey info. our brakes will be my next puchase. thanks!
ps. i have vintage 45 16" wheels, 4.5 back space. your brakes will fit this wheel?

bill