65-66 Fastback rear window louvers

Cdaniel

Founding Member
Nov 29, 2001
Arizona
Does anyone out there have rear window louvers on their 65-66 Fastback? If so, where did you get them, and do you have a description or pictures of how they are installed? I've seen them for sale at California Mustang.com and The Mustang Place.com. Any other sources? I have a used set that are a bit tweaked and don't fit very well. And I don't like the way the hinges mount. Looking for a better solution to Arizona laser beam summers fading the interior.

Cliff Daniel
http://members.cox.net/cwdaniel/stang page/indexstang.htm

• Sponsors (?)

Cdaniel: Mustang & Fords did an entire article on a rear window louver install. It is not in color but is very detailed IMO. You can not get around the way it looks. You either like it or you don't. IMO it makes the fastback very much more stylish.

65straightsick said:
Cdaniel: Mustang & Fords did an entire article on a rear window louver install. It is not in color but is very detailed IMO. You can not get around the way it looks. You either like it or you don't. IMO it makes the fastback very much more stylish.

Is there anyplace online you can get that article?

65straightsick said:

I found the magazine, but the install is for the 69-70 stock replacement, not a 66. Oh well, thanks anyway I'll keep looking for someone that's done it. There's got to be somebody out there.

The aluminum version looks very simular to the "slats" on a 69-70 sports roof. The plastic ones look like Krap!!! Not stylish a'tall. I think the aluminum versions are avaliable at NPD. Don't have a catalog handy to look up.
The "look" is definately OLD SCHOOL.

Nothing wrong with Old School looks. But I'm more interested in UV protection for the interior back there.

The Willpak ones look good until they get to the bottom curved edge of the glass. They stop short and don't really cover the curved part. The last slat is wider to try to bridge the gap but ends up look a little "wing" like.

Last October at the Fall Carlisle show, I saw a vendor selling a kit to fit a 65-66 fastback. I can't remember the name of the company, hopefully it will come to me and I will post it. but it was made of aluminum, sat just inside the window mouldings, were hinged at the top, the hinges had a portion that slid under the top moulding, the other part was stuck on the glass. But the best part was the way this kit addressed the curve at the bottom of the rear window. the lowest louver was cut to fit the curved shape of the window, this louver was attached to the window,( same method as the top hinge) and the second louver from the bottom was the last louver in the assembly that hinged up to clean the window. Hopefully my description is clear. Any way, If you are interested, I will be going to the upcoming Summer Carlisle, and maybe I will run across the vendor. He had a couple kits left, I think he told me the kits were made back in the seventies.

mr-fixit said:
----. Hopefully my description is clear. Any way, If you are interested, I will be going to the upcoming Summer Carlisle, and maybe I will run across the vendor. He had a couple kits left, I think he told me the kits were made back in the seventies.

Very clear! I like that idea, please do keep an eye out for them I'd be interested if the price is right. I have an old set that I don't like, bought off of ebay. They're a little tweaked and the solution for the curved glass sucks. The whole set is narrower than the glass and they have filler panel that fit flat on the glass edges and cover the curved area.

I posted the Willpack pictures, kinda weird?