65 mustang convertible top switch direction?

Does anyone know which way the switch for the power top goes in? Naturally they couldn't stamp an "up" on it. There's a red wire on one end and a red on the other. Ideally I would like the top to go up when I move the switch to the up position. If I guess wrong, and I definitely will I can flip it around but I'll have to pull the gauges, etc.

• Sponsors (?)

I know nothing at all about convertibles(other than my Miata which has a hard top I never take off), but in general there are a couple of different types of basic electrical switches. One has 2 terminals...it does not matter how you install this switch, all it does is break the circuit.....whichever direction you install it in works. The other type is a 3-terminal 3 position switch...it is on1-off-on2. In the on1 position it supplies power to circuit A, in the on2 position it supplies power to circuit B, in the off position it supplies power to neither one. Now, with a 2 direction electric motor(such as an electric fan, or I would ASSUME a convertible top motor) swapping the ground and the power will determine which direction the motor spins.

In the case of a 3 position, 3 terminal switch it still doesn't matter which way you install it from a functionality standpoint, the switch itself doesn't care(worst case scenario is off is up and on is down). it is going to supply power to the top when switched to the top and power to the bottom when switched to the bottom. If I were you though, I would simply hook it up and test it before installing it in the dash...you might have to make some jumper wire extensions, but you should have some jumper wire extensions anyway as a tool for testing things.

There are also 6 terminal 3 position momentary toggle switches, but that is getting into slightly more complicated territory...dont think Ford used those in the 60s.

Yes the switch will work no matter what. I just want the roof to go up when I toggle the switch to "up" and not have to push up for down and down for up.
I guessed yellow wire on top, won't know until I finish the restoration. It's a very tight area to get into and lining up the bezel pins with the switch holes isn't much fun either so I hope I guessed right.