• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

66 Fastback Buildup

  • Thread starter Thread starter JBsFB
  • Start date Start date Feb 13, 2006
J

JBsFB

New Member
Feb 12, 2006
4
0
0
Feb 13, 2006
#1
  • Feb 13, 2006
  • #1
Hi Guys!! I'm a newbie to your Forum. I've got a 98 C5 that I've built up for the last 8 years. It's Supercharged with all the goodies!!
Here's my sig from another forum:
Vortech T-Trim & Aftercooler W/ 2 heat exchangers
Alky Injection
Built Tranny & Diff W/ DTE Strut
Mcloed DD Clutch W/Kevlar
Vararam
H/C Forged bottom end
Brembos & HREs
T-1 Sway Bars, C5R Springs, QA-1 Shocks
SAE Corrected RWHP 638+ RWT 613

I picked this site, since it seems to have a lot of traffic on the classic Tech area.

I bought a 66 FB a few years ago, that is in great shape. It was converted to a GT at some point in time. I rarely drive it, but would like to do a complete makeover on it, so I'd be more apt to take it instead of the Vette sometimes!!! When I first got the car, I put on Doug Thorly Tri Y headers, magnaflow exaust, Edlebrock intake and K&N filter. We also installed a large sway bar, Monty Carlo bar (SP), Metal heim joints and poly bushings.

I've wanted to do some more extensive modding to this car, but I'm not really sure were I want to go from here. I'm not a big dragracer, but more prefer the canyons and roadracing.

What I think I want is a REALLY nice handling car, that has a Sh..load of power. I know I don't drive it that much, since my Vette handles great and has around 750 HP. I don't need quite that much power, but would like at least 500+ HP. I have disk brakes already in the front, and the car is presently an auto.

I'm open to your specific suggestions on motor, suspension and drivetrain.

Thanks in advance for your input!!!!
JB
 

xoxbxfx

Founding Member
May 9, 2001
3,959
0
0
Southlake, TX
Feb 13, 2006
#2
  • Feb 13, 2006
  • #2
well...this is a broad question...

I would do a 351w based motor, probably a 408 stroker motor. You can easily hit your 500hp mark N/A.

Transmission I would personally convert to a manual but ifyou want auto, I would go with a lentech AOD. Get your overdrive for good gasmilage and still have the performance aspect of the car.

Rear end - of course a built 9". I would recommend 373 or 389 gears out back, not to high but not to low. Good for milage again but still has performance. Nice LSD would be good with some 28spline axles. I really doubt you are gonna ever hook up the full 500hp unless you have some crazy slicks, so 28splines will definately be strong enough

Suspension... LOTS of choices and I would say we need to know your goals and budget. You can do suspension mods ranging from $500 and get a good handling car or $4000+ on suspension.
 
J

JBsFB

New Member
Feb 12, 2006
4
0
0
Feb 13, 2006
#3
  • Feb 13, 2006
  • #3
xoxbxfx said:
well...this is a broad question...

I would do a 351w based motor, probably a 408 stroker motor. You can easily hit your 500hp mark N/A.

Transmission I would personally convert to a manual but ifyou want auto, I would go with a lentech AOD. Get your overdrive for good gasmilage and still have the performance aspect of the car.

Rear end - of course a built 9". I would recommend 373 or 389 gears out back, not to high but not to low. Good for milage again but still has performance. Nice LSD would be good with some 28spline axles. I really doubt you are gonna ever hook up the full 500hp unless you have some crazy slicks, so 28splines will definately be strong enough

Suspension... LOTS of choices and I would say we need to know your goals and budget. You can do suspension mods ranging from $500 and get a good handling car or $4000+ on suspension.
Click to expand...
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond!

Who do you think has the best deals and quality on a 408 stroker??

I would most likely switch to a manual. Do you have a link to Lentech?

Where do I find a a nice built 9"??

I'd say somewhere in the middle on suspension, but I do like to hit the twisties!!

Thanks again,
JB
 

xoxbxfx

Founding Member
May 9, 2001
3,959
0
0
Southlake, TX
Feb 13, 2006
#4
  • Feb 13, 2006
  • #4
JBsFB said:
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond!

Who do you think has the best deals and quality on a 408 stroker??

I would most likely switch to a manual. Do you have a link to Lentech?

Where do I find a a nice built 9"??

I'd say somewhere in the middle on suspension, but I do like to hit the twisties!!

Thanks again,
JB
Click to expand...


im supprised no one else has answered this thread...
for a stroker motor, i would look into coat high performance. They offer great stoker motors for good prices and are built with top quality parts. I beleive they offer warranties as well. A great builder that my friends have used in teh past is Keith Craft. He is based in Arkansas but also sells down here in Plano, TX.

transmissions... if you switch to a manual, I would recommend a TKO tranmission. They are built to handle that kind of power but everything has its limits. A t5 is cheaper but it wont handle the power. If you are gonna buy a TKO new, I would check with X2C motorsports, they have hte fastest tko car out ther and they build them. I cant find Lentech's site, so im no help there.

For a built rear, any standard 9" rear end housing is gonna handle the power. I would get a new axles (moser or strange) and a limited slip (auburn is good) and some gears (fms, richmond)... Build the one you have if you have it. IF you need to buy a complete one and have hte $$, check out CURRIE

Suspension is still hard to say... IF you really want to hit the twisties, I would suggest Global West and their full tubular setup. Definately get some subframe connectors. You can also convert to a coil over rear which would really help. TCP makes a kit along with a front coilover kit. Get ready to spend some CASH
 
J

JBsFB

New Member
Feb 12, 2006
4
0
0
Feb 14, 2006
#5
  • Feb 14, 2006
  • #5
xoxbxfx said:
im supprised no one else has answered this thread...
Click to expand...


I thought I would get more responce as well!!

Thanks again for your input,
JB
 

LMan

Founding Member
Aug 10, 2002
1,246
0
0
Mom's basement
Feb 14, 2006
#6
  • Feb 14, 2006
  • #6
Must....not........touch.......keyboard......
 

302 coupe

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2000
1,952
3
36
Macon, Ga.
Feb 14, 2006
#7
  • Feb 14, 2006
  • #7
no offense, but this thread is just like hundreds (if not thousands) of other threads on here. 500hp stroker, yeah thats a first. Overdrive, never been done before. And handling, you can't make these old buckets handle, are you crazy? Not to be a judemental arse-hole, but the original poster seems to just want the standard high dollar parts list to give a shop somewhere, they'll do the work, he'll write a check, all is good. Whats the point?

But then again, maybe I'm just jaded today.
 
D

danny clemens

Member
May 4, 2005
728
0
16
Feb 14, 2006
#8
  • Feb 14, 2006
  • #8
302 coupe said:
no offense, but this thread is just like hundreds (if not thousands) of other threads on here. 500hp stroker, yeah thats a first. Overdrive, never been done before. And handling, you can't make these old buckets handle, are you crazy? Not to be a judemental arse-hole, but the original poster seems to just want the standard high dollar parts list to give a shop somewhere, they'll do the work, he'll write a check, all is good. Whats the point?

But then again, maybe I'm just jaded today.
Click to expand...


It was the part about him owning the Vette that did it, isn't it. LOL
 

monk302

Founding Member
Apr 18, 2001
742
2
16
New Jersey
Feb 14, 2006
#9
  • Feb 14, 2006
  • #9
JBsFB,

Sounds like you might want to check out reenmachine's site. He has a sticky post on top of the tech forum. His website is www.reenmachine.com. He does some beautiful work and you might want to apply some of his stuff to your build.

If I were you and had a bit of money to spend on the car I would probably first go and pick up an crate engine from Ford Racing. The 302ci 345 Hp would be fine with me, but if you want more check out Coast High Performance.

For the trans, I have a T-5 which is good but you prob want something stronger. Take xoxo's advice on this one.

Front Suspension I would take Global West or anything tubular. In the least put some roller perches up front.

Rear Suspension/Rear end: Why don't you think of putting an 2003 Cobra IRS. This will give you modern feel and handle some HP. Don't think this would work for dragging, but spirited driving yeah.

Interior: get an updated cluster with build in tac and some good seats and shoulder harness.

Good luck and welcome.
 
S

steel1212

Active Member
Jun 24, 2004
1,180
0
36
Frankfort, Ky
Feb 14, 2006
#10
  • Feb 14, 2006
  • #10
LMan said:
Must....not........touch.......keyboard......
Click to expand...

never gets old....where is it I know you have it!
 
6

66StangFastback

New Member
Jun 6, 2005
181
0
0
norman, oklahoma
Feb 14, 2006
#11
  • Feb 14, 2006
  • #11
You might check out www.ThumperPerformance.com for an engine as well. I've been posting with the...engine rebuilder and marketer, I believe, on some other forums for quite some time. His name is Mike and his uncle owns the shop. He's a real great guy and he knows his stuff. I don't have first hand experience with their products, but you might get in touch with em' and see what they can do.
 
J

JBsFB

New Member
Feb 12, 2006
4
0
0
Feb 14, 2006
#12
  • Feb 14, 2006
  • #12
Thank you very much for the info guys!!!
JB
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

For Sale 94 Cobra 408w AOD Project For Sale
  • Labora
  • Oct 11, 2024
  • SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04)
Replies
3
Views
1K
SN95 Mustangs For Sale (1994-04) Aug 17, 2026
Labora
T
For Sale 93 Mustang GT Hatch - Electric Red Two Tone Single Turbo - 80k original miles
  • tim4698
  • Jul 18, 2021
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
1
Views
5K
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Jul 31, 2021
Steel1
O
66 convertible rear sway bar question
  • Ophthos
  • Nov 8, 2018
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
1K
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Nov 9, 2018
Ophthos
O
C
66 Suspension and Steering Rebuild
  • cturboaddict
  • Oct 6, 2019
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
4K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 30, 2021
cturboaddict
C
S
New Member...
  • Schobie
  • Apr 9, 2018
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
1
Views
978
The Welcome Wagon Apr 9, 2018
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?