New Member...

Schobie

Apr 9, 2018
Hi, I'm Rob, and I've got this old 289 1966 Mustang I've owned since 1970. I'm at the age where I plan to a little modifying here and there to 'bring' back its competitive nature. While there is a lo tI'd like to do, I'm still in a learning mode. Fortunately, I never cut the body up and limited mods (Ported heads) to original 289 motor and C4 transmission. I hope to limit the mods to bolt on type mods, such as modifying the drum brakes to disk, the rear suspension to a CalTrack Traction Bar setup with single leaf springs, loosening up the front suspension, looking into a 363 ci Dart Block based 'crate' motor, and upgrading the C4 and rearend to handle about 500 HP. Yeah, I used to drag race and had 'friends' that raced a 427 and a NHRA legal 428CJ in C stock Automatic, So I know this is a 'lot' of power to put threw a chassis and down to the ground. I've developed cracks in the body (rear part of side windows) from racing in my earlier years (Mid 13's with a low rear gear and narrow cheater slicks), so I realize that

1) the body was twisting on launch (Install frame connectors and Roll Bar?)
2) the stock block is really stressed with HP over 550 (tends to 'split', upgrade to Dart type Racing block)
3) the 'stock' body shape wanted to 'float' much over 95MPH (afterMarket Front end?)
4) would overtax the stock drum brakes on slow downs from over 100MPH (disc brakes?)
5) the engine compartment is really tight for the 1966 model year.

I was hoping that I could learn the latest mods being made, when to do what (like Shelby front end mod for drag vs road course racing) as well as warnings about various unreliable parts suppliers. As I live in Hawaii, I don't have the ability to easily drive to a location, check it out, and make a personal purchase. No, the car is NOT my primary mode of transportation, but I DO have a Drag racing bug.

BTW, I was called the 'One Trick Pony' and used to race with the 'Iron Horse' (heavily modded '66 fastback...). IH was way more serious (ran 350 chevy valve springs, HiPo heads, 285 degree mechanical cam, and wound the motor 8,000+RPM). Mid-12's on a slick track... Then there was Frankie... 318 Mopar in a 4 door valiant (no back seat) with comando heads with ? valve springs. Used to wind it until the valves floated... on the street... geez, think he had at least 4.11 rear gear w/cheater slicks... but this is all old school... bet some of the new stuff, (heads, ignition system, nitrous, etc...) would be to die for. Heck, back in the old dayz, 500 HP was racer's stuff.

• Sponsors (?)