66 Front disc brake conversion, Did a search and couldn't find an answer

I just got my 1966 in December, well it sat for 10 years out side and was never started or moved. so I went into the brake system first and foremost after I got her running. I spent almost 2 weeks researching and finding what vehicle was used to do the disc brake conversion / 5 lug swap on the front. Come to find out they are Granada calipers and rotors.

My question is, I've noticed the tie rod ends are on an extreme angle when the car is sitting at ride height. I want to correct this. I have found a set of 1966 stock 5 lug drum front spindles. And I can get them very cheap. Would I be able to use the spindles and just purchase the 66 rotors, calipers and associated brake hardware to correct the geometry or is it more involved than that.

The car was originally a 6 cylinder car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

RetArmyWarrant, if the car was originally a six, change all the front suspension to the V8 stuff. Yours may be a cobbled-together home brew system that explains the extreme angle rod ends. The V8 had bigger steering parts and brakes. Some say the springs are the same and that could be possible, but other parts are bigger. My sources say rear leafs were 85 lbs six and 115 lbs V8. The six was 2600 lbs (I have a six), and the V8 shows 2900 lbs (I have had several V8's). Until I started modifying the six suspension I was not aware of the difference. Remember, the Pony started with Falcon parts...which were six only for years. Ford wanted to save money so they used the underpinnings of the Falcon for the Pony. Then they had to install a V8 because the HP wars were on. That caused the installation of bigger, stronger V8 suspension...just in case someone wanted to go racing. Hello Carroll Shelby! Good luck Warrant...my brother retired as Master Chief but made W2 while in Vietnam. Bro-in-law retired as Command Sgt. Major out of Ft. Hood. Me, 3 carriers, no awards, lots of memories and an Honorable exit.

Reactions: 1 user
the upper and lower control arms are the same six or eight. the tie rod ends though are different, the six being a bit smaller than the eight cylinder ones. the springs are the same, but different rates six to eight. so the only things you really need to change out are the spindles and tie rod ends, assuming the control arms are in good shape.

and i will also thank you both for your service to this country. my family also served, an aunt and two uncles, and one cousin as well as both grand fathers were all navy, and one grandfather was also merchant marine as well. by the time world war two rolled around though he was working on the railroad as a conductor, and was upset that the navy would not take him to serve in world war two since he was in a protected occupation. i also had two uncles that served in the air force, in the intelligence branch, one went into the CIA and kept the air force intelligence as his NOC.

Reactions: 1 user