66 Mustang w/ 71 Mustang Disc Brakes, tie rod end issue?

Bluesky

Aug 21, 2002
Wildwood, MO
My buddy installed 71 Mustang Disc Brakes/spindles on his 66 v8 Mustang (so 5 lug). Everything seemed to look good except the 66 tie rod ends that go to the spindle are sloppy in the holes on the spindle. It's my impression that the resolution is to use 71 Mustang tie rod ends, but in doing that, I don't think the tie rod sleeve will fit the 71 tie rod end? Does anyone know what the necessary steering parts are for this conversion? The car has power steering if that helps. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Bluesky said:
My buddy installed 71 Mustang Disc Brakes/spindles on his 66 v8 Mustang (so 5 lug). Everything seemed to look good except the 66 tie rod ends that go to the spindle are sloppy in the holes on the spindle. It's my impression that the resolution is to use 71 Mustang tie rod ends, but in doing that, I don't think the tie rod sleeve will fit the 71 tie rod end? Does anyone know what the necessary steering parts are for this conversion? The car has power steering if that helps. Thanks!

65-66 power steering cars have a unique outer tie rod on the driver side. The only way to fit the 70 spindles on those 65-66 is to use a bushing that will adapt the existing driver side outer tie rod to the 70 spindle. Use a 70 outer tie rod on the passenger side. The bushing (part TBR6570) is available from mustangsteve.com for $26.

krash kendall said:
It shouldn't be any worse than a Granada swap.

Correct, the geometry is identical to Granada. Aside from the infamous bumpsteer issue, the main problem with this and Granada swaps is with the possible difficulty of not having enough toe-out adjustment. This happens because 67-Granada steering arm geometry is about 1/2" inboard compared to 65-66. The obvious fix is to cut or grind about 3/16" off the threaded end of each inner and outer tie rod.

I am developing a heavy 70-73/Granada type disc brake spindle set for 65-66 with proper geometry. It will be available soon.