66 Pony Brakes-Spring help

Hi Folks,
Need a little assistance here. I am rebuilding the drum brakes on my 66/289. Not yet ready to make the move to disc's on the front so the drums will have to do for a few more years. My question and need for assistance has to do with one darn spring. According to Chiltons and Ford's shop manual there is a spring the connects the two front shoes called a "Shoe Retracting Assist Spring". It hooks into both shoes and runs horizontally just below the wheel cylinder. (On the rear wheels in this spot there is a steel bar that is the emergency brake something or the other.) Well, I am missing one. None of the kits include this spring and I have checked with all of the major parts retailers to no avial. None of the Stang suppliers seem to have it either. Any suggestions on where I may find a one of these babies?

• Sponsors (?)

I can’t help on where to get one but I can say you will be fine without it.

I can’t think of anyone that produces that part. You might get lucky by look at the actual Bendix catalog at the parts store. Some have the catalogs and some only have what’s on the computer. You might find one but doubt it.

I ran into the same thing some years back with my 74 Bronco. The originals were crap(one was broken) and I couldn’t find new ones. I’ve been running without them for 7 years now with no problems. I have not seen any issues with the shoes dragging or warring out early.

Not what you’re looking for but I hope it helps………..

I'm not really sure which spring you're talking about, but you can check with NAPA... Although, looking at the Mustangs Unlimited catalog has all the parts I required for my front brakes. The whole kits is only $14.95 (Part # H7045)