67 6cyl engine swap

parrish5o

Dec 22, 2008
Dirty South
Here is my situation. I have a 90 GT but I have recent came across a 67 mustang body. No drivetrain but the car is in pretty good shape and I can get it for a good price. My buddy just wrecked his 02 Cobra with nothing but liability insurance. How much of a project would I be getting myself into with a full drivetrain swap? I have been working on my 90 for about 10 years but I know nothing about the 4.6 at the moment. I feel this could be a very unique project, any info or ideas would be great.

I would like to put the 32v in the 67. The Cobra is sitting in my buddy's back yard under a tarp, well what is left of it anyway. It was rolled several times and is not fixable. He really wants my Yamaha R1 and I would so part with it and a few grand for this car. I'm sure we can work up a trade. O yeah, my mistake its an 03 not an 02.

The SN65 is a good post to read up on.

I think puting the 03 cobra motor in a 67 would be beyond what most people are capable of doing on their own. You have to either remove the shock towers or at least heavily notch them. Generally people install a Mustang 2 font suspension setup to shave the shock towers off.

You will need to totally overhaul the fuel system, you will need to hack up the trans tunnel to get the T56 to fit and you are going to need some sort of custom motor/trans mounts.

You would have a MUCH easier time puting it in to your 90. Swap an SN95 K member in and then just drop all the parts in and go. Its the same chasis for the most part so most if it would be a bolt in. While you are at it, you could convert to 5 lug, SN95 steering rack and Cobra breaks.