67 Fastback 460 Independent Front Suspension Question

shaggys22

Feb 12, 2010
I have a 1967 Fastback that will have a 460 put in it.

I am putting on a Mustang II front suspension on it with the 2" Drop Spindles.
- Should I go with the Coil Overs or the standard Springs and shocks. What would be the Pro's and Con's?

- Should I use manual steering rack or go with power steering? I am not sure how the manual steering is on the Mustang II plus the 460 weight?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

• Sponsors (?)

I am putting on a Mustang II front suspension on it with the 2" Drop Spindles.
- Should I go with the Coil Overs or the standard Springs and shocks. What would be the Pro's and Con's?
Hmmm… One "con" would be that's a lot of suspension and engine compartment modification you don't need to do. The 460 will bolt into an unmodified 67 engine compartment with a pair of conversion mounts, and special headers are available for the 67-70 Mustang with 429-460 engines.

- Should I use manual steering rack or go with power steering? I am not sure how the manual steering is on the Mustang II plus the 460 weight?
A friend of mine has a pro street with the 460 and Mustang II front suspension, no problems at all.

Do the Mustang II suspension work, you won't regret it. if you put the 460 in with the current setup you will have a hell of a time putting the spark plugs in, you'll have to cut some on the shocktower mount for the headers and the headers are crap. i bought some thinking i could modify them for my car but they come out of the head and go STRAIGHT down so your creating back pressure that you don't need. I can post a picture of what the header looks like if you want. I had custom ones made. I have a 460 bored and stroked to 532. I also have a flaming river rack and pinion steering. its hard to turn the car when its not moving which i am not yet used to but once you get it moving its easy. If you have any questions let me know.
View attachment 230137
P1040214.jpg

P1040229.jpg

Do the Mustang II suspension work, you won't regret it. if you put the 460 in with the current setup you will have a hell of a time putting the spark plugs in
No worse than a stock 390GT. Which was no picnic.

you'll have to cut some on the shocktower mount for the headers and the headers are crap. i bought some thinking i could modify them for my car but they come out of the head and go STRAIGHT down so your creating back pressure that you don't need.
Musta got the wrong ones. FPA offers the ones below to fit a 67-70 Mustang without modifying the towers, etc.

I also have a flaming river rack and pinion steering. its hard to turn the car when its not moving which i am not yet used to but once you get it moving its easy.
I believe it. I had Shelby steering arms on a 66 and that was a bear.

stage2revised.jpg