67 hood: repro vs original tooling?

t_chelle16

Keeper of the closet key
Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Knob Noster, Mo.
Sadie has a couple of odd hole/rust/bondo spots on her hood (haven't sanded it down to see exactly what the deal is). I've pretty much decided that I just want to get a new hood rather than messing with repairing the old one (old Sadie's hood has some rust in the bracing on the underside and I don't really want to mess with that either).

I have a ton of body panels that I had originally bought for old Sadie that I no longer need for new Sadie (including an orginal tooling fender still in the box). I haven't done it yet, but I plan on calling around to the 2 nearest mustang-specific shops and seeing if they'll trade a new hood for some new body panels (if they'll trade, I know they won't give me an even trade, but I'll probably never get back what I paid for everything anyway - I'll lose money one way or another - might as well get a hood out of it).

Anyway . . . 67 repro hoods (with turn signals) go for around $180 and the original tooling ones go for around $375. Which would I be better off trying to get? Are the repro hoods really horrible to make fit? (I've read lots of horror stories about repro fenders).

-Chelle

• Sponsors (?)

My repo hood fit liek a dream. I got it from mustangs unlimited for 160 bucks. My painter thought I payed 300-400+ for it just due to the quality of the fit and guage of metal that was used. It only took slight modification for it to be perfect. It was jus ta hair "flatter" than the curves on the fender. That was a pretty easy problem for him to fix by closing the hood over some blocks of wood or rags or something.

Buck up with no regrets.

As always, you get what you pay for. I bougth a repo hood and yes it fits great and looks fine but it is of lighter gauge metal and if it was ever in a hail storm more than likely the hood would show the most damage. Believe me I have seen it happen to repo stuff. Think of it this way, your Mustang is an appreciating asset. You plan on having it for years and years to come, right?? As years go by there will unfortunately be fewer and fewer Mustangs. If your new 2006 daily driver needed a new hood you would have to shell out the big bucks for original Ford parts.... and that new car is a deprciating asset. I know there is a big cost difference between the two but it is worth it in the long run. I will be going with origianal tooling before I paint the car.

BTW the worst part about the repo hood is the R.O.C. label.

REPUBLIC OF CHINA

STSFCTN67 said:
As always, you get what you pay for. I bougth a repo hood and yes it fits great and looks fine but it is of lighter gauge metal and if it was ever in a hail storm more than likely the hood would show the most damage. Believe me I have seen it happen to repo stuff. Think of it this way, your Mustang is an appreciating asset. You plan on having it for years and years to come, right?? As years go by there will unfortunately be fewer and fewer Mustangs. If your new 2006 daily driver needed a new hood you would have to shell out the big bucks for original Ford parts.... and that new car is a deprciating asset. I know there is a big cost difference between the two but it is worth it in the long run. I will be going with origianal tooling before I paint the car.

REPUBLIC OF CHINA
Yeah, that's kind of how I was leaning anyway, but I thought I'd ask. Like I said, I have a ton of sheetmetal (lots of it new & never installed) that I can't use now so working out a trade would be great. At this point, I really don't think I need a ton of the bigger/high dollar new parts so pinching pennies and trying to squeeze as much as I can out of a trade isn't super essential.

Who sells the original tooling 67 deluxe hood?
I haven't really looked around at the major catalog places, but Missouri Mustang (outside Joplin, MO - one of the stores I'm looking at contacting) has them. I've gotten stuff from them before and they were pretty good (sent a wrong part once, but they were really good about the exchange).
http://www.missourimustangparts.com/onlinestore/detail.cfm?ID=H67OEMTS&storeid=1

-Chelle

good repro hoods are fine for a daily driver. one thing about original tooling hoods is that someof those original dies are worn out, and the hood comes out worse than many repro's. find out where the hood is made before you buy.

My buddy Kevin lives in Rolla and took a pretty cherry turn signal hood off his '68 and installed a tall cowl induction hood. He might sell or trade. I'm not sure if he plans on keeping it or not, I'd think he'd be interested in the original tooling fender at least.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/39716392/1039720277037328625ziidtO

I tried trading a full A/C setup out of my '65 coupe to the local Mustang parts house that will go unnamed (but it's initials are MPO, see where I live) for a cheap, far east passenger side full 1/4 and they wouldn't trade. Mind you, they have these complete systems sitting in cardboard boxes on the shelf, unrestored as pulled from their former cars for $900!!!! And they wouldn't trade one for a $80 1/4 panel.

STSFCTN67 said:

REPUBLIC OF CHINA

Amen my brother! (fellow American!):flag:

I've had both, and they both fit (someone ran a light and crushed the Ford tooling turn signal hood, and I replaced it with a repop). Fit was fine except that I had to enlarge a couple of the holes for the signal bodies to lie down flat. The only other thing that I noticed was that the sheet metal was a little thinner, but it's still better than a new tinfoil-bodied car.

1320stang said:
My buddy Kevin lives in Rolla and took a pretty cherry turn signal hood off his '68 and installed a tall cowl induction hood. He might sell or trade. I'm not sure if he plans on keeping it or not, I'd think he'd be interested in the original tooling fender at least.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/39716392/1039720277037328625ziidtO

Thanks. Rolla is a bit far away, but I might still contact him (Joplin is actually farther, but it's better roads and is on the way to my grandmother's house and I visit her fairly often).

-Chelle