67 Mustang Floor In 62 Falcon?

RacerJames

Mar 21, 2014
Kingman AZ
I bought this Falcon with Flintstone holes in the floor. I plan to replace the anemic 170 and 3 speed with a 289 and 5-speed. Along with the drivetrain, I will be doing a Granada conversion, and a rear end swap.
Got my tape measure out, and, because I was curious I measured the floor of the Mustang and the Falcon. they are (surprisingly) within a half inch of the same width, and the Falcon is actually longer from toe boards to rear seat mount.
I began to consider the obvious advantages of more trans tunnel room, an easy throttle pedal upgrade, less pricey parts, and better availability of parts. The question is, has anyone done this, or heard of it being done? Will the seats and console from the Futura fit? What carpet do I get? Which other parts am I forgetting?
FalconBackDesktop.jpg
FalconFrontDesktop.jpg
Falcon170.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I would imagine it could be done .You will probably need to modify the 67 floor a bit .Can you save the seat risers from the Falcon? How much longer is the Falcon floor pan .
I have always wanted to build a 63 Sprint 2 door hard top but they are hard to find .

This would be a great sprint clone. It's a 62. My sister had a blue '63 sprint back in the '80s, it was a great car. The seats and console for this car look just like the ones her car had.
The Falcon doesn't have seat risers. The floor is contoured to fit the seats. I guess Ford learned from the early Falcon, and made the floors flat with risers in the Mustang for more chassis stiffness. I suppose I would have to save the floor contours where the seats mount and graft it into the Mustang pan?

The Falcon floor has a step down at the front seat that the mustang doesn't IIRC. Most floor replacements I've seen done leave the edge of the OG floor at the rocker and weld the replacement to that. This would be the challenge.

The Falcon floor has a step down at the front seat that the mustang doesn't IIRC. Most floor replacements I've seen done leave the edge of the OG floor at the rocker and weld the replacement to that. This would be the challenge.
Hopefully he figured that out five years ago.

Actually, I sold the Mustang which I was comparing it with, then we chose to move to a house without a garage, then I started racing stock cars (a major time toilet), and now, finally, I'm selling the other house (we had rented it - man what a headache), and will get enough profit to build a garage at our current home.
So, maybe next spring I'll be starting the rebuild on the Falcon.
After a lot of measuring and futzing with figures, I'll most likely be replacing the floor in sections, and keeping it original. Still trying to figure out how to use the sprint console with a T-5 shifter. There seems to be not enough room for both.

Reactions: 1 user