67 mustang rear end oil change

• Sponsors (?)

You rear end should have a fill plug on the driver's side of the carrier, if it is a nine inch. I found on mine that the rearend had a main case made after 1967 so it had the hump in the middle, but no filler plug. The carrier, however, had no filler plug on it making it from something 1957-1964/65. Some previous industrious owner fabbed a filler plug in the back of the case to alleviate this problem. It also makes changing the fluid easier.

Check out this site.

Nine inch info

can i suck out the fluid through the fill plug, or do i need to pull the whole front of the diff off. If I do need to pull the whole front off, how hard is it and is there anything special that needs to be taked into consideration. I guess what i mean is, can i just take out the bolts, slide the front of the case off, replace the seal and slide it back together? Does that make sense?

I forgot to mention, if you just want to know how to get the fluid out through the filler, then you need to by an oil change siphon pump and pull it out through the filler plug.

Your local oil change shop will also do this for you for cheap and you don't have to dispose of that smelly old gear oil.

mustangdave said:
I tries siphoning mine out with a Mighty vac hand pump with no luck. I couldn't get the tube past all of the internals and was only able to remove a small amount.

Tried the same thing using a hand suction pump, and you are right, couldn't get the tube past the gears. My yoke was leaking so just had a shop reseal and replace the lube. When buying a used car, it's always one thing or another.