67 Ranchero W/ 5.0 Ho Engine & 5 Spd Tremec

Ian Ranchero

Jul 5, 2015
Longmont Co
HI Folks. Hoping to learn some great things here about my new ride. As the title states I have a 67 ranchero w/ 5.0 HO Engine & 5 spd tremec. It was running a bit rough when I got it and I have been chenging all the main sensors... MAF, TPS, IAC, both 02 Sensors. Its running better but I feel like it still level off a bit on the idle. Also having a hard starting problem in the morning. My MAIN question is this-->> So because this engine is in a 67 ranchero that is registered here in CO as a classic... WHAT CAN I DELETE? For instance I was reading on how to reset the base idle and it had me unplug the IAC and rev the engine and set the throttle at 800 rpm. It seemed to rev and idle better with this unplugged. Can I delete the 02 sensors? Ideally I would love to get a list of electronics I can remove from my engine because it is smog exempt. Is this a good idea and will it make my car run better? Thanks a ton.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the site.

The only think you're going to do by deleting smog and electronic equipment on that engine is make it run worse. Smog exempt doesn't mean horsepower exempt. There's very little, if any to be gained by stripping the smog equipment off of these engines. They don't rob a ton of power like the old smog set-ups of the 70's did.

The first thing I recommend you doing is picking yourself up and OBD I code reader and running it for codes. Once you've done this, you can further diagnose any issues. Until then, you're just stripping/throwing parts/money at the problem.

COOL thanks gearbanger. I thought I would ask. I'm on a mission to learn about this engine and to have it running as good as it can. I just looked at those code readers online and they dont seem too expensive. Are they easy to learn to read?