6G Alternator Install

FrumRoll

Mar 19, 2006
To those who have installed a 6G could you please post some pictures, specifically of the Voltage Regulator plug. I have searched, but it's quite difficult because 6g is too short to search for. I did find this thread. However all the pictures are dead, and there seems to be some dispute as to whether all three voltage regulator wires need to be used or just two.

• Sponsors (?)

Wow ... didn't know they made a 6g, yet. What happened to 4g and 5g alts? :D

Try typing in "alternator swap" in the search and see if that yields more results. There's still a ton of topics lingering around here with pics and all, and JRichker always has a slew of diagrams and such on hand that help out a lot.

As far as the wires, it depends on the plug to which you're referring. The smaller D-shaped plug doesn't get clipped at all, it just plugs right into the 3g alternator as-is; the fat, flat plug only gets the black/white wire snipped, whereupon you crimp/solder a little spade connector on there and just poke it right into the other connection on the back. Just leave the plug with the other two orange wires hanging there out of the way, and don't disconnect them at the other end on the starter solenoid, as they still do serve a function elsewhere in the car.

Darkwriter77 said:
Wow ... didn't know they made a 6g, yet. What happened to 4g and 5g alts? :D

Try typing in "alternator swap" in the search and see if that yields more results. There's still a ton of topics lingering around here with pics and all, and JRichker always has a slew of diagrams and such on hand that help out a lot.

As far as the wires, it depends on the plug to which you're referring. The smaller D-shaped plug doesn't get clipped at all, it just plugs right into the 3g alternator as-is; the fat, flat plug only gets the black/white wire snipped, whereupon you crimp/solder a little spade connector on there and just poke it right into the other connection on the back. Just leave the plug with the other two orange wires hanging there out of the way, and don't disconnect them at the other end on the starter solenoid, as they still do serve a function elsewhere in the car.

Actually they did make a 4G, not sure about the 5G though. Reason I don't want to use a 3G is because I have a Moroso 63810 remote mount and the bigger case of the 3G is making life difficult. The smaller case of the 6G works perfect, but I just need some help with the wiring. And while the smaller plug may snap into place on a 3G it unfortunately does not on a 6G.