6G Alternator Installed

Not much info on here about the 6G , so figured I'd post after installing one on my 1992 Mustang GT. Wish I did it sooner. Idle voltage with accessories off: 14.1, Idle voltage with all accessories on: 13.8. My airbag light flashing code 34 even went out.

Easy install: Small case so no bracket grinding needed. DISCONNECT BATTERY CABLES PRIOR TO PROCEEDING (black, then red).

Run 4awg (fused) from alternator to + battery terminal. Run 4awg ground from engine block (where battery ground is connected) to driver side chassis (where small pigtail attaches from negative battery terminal).

Alternator wiring: Unplug both plugs from stock 2G. Wrap the plug that has the two Org/blk and one wht/blk wire with electrical tape as no longer needed and it is still hot so don't want it to short to ground.
Cut yellow and green wire on other plug and splice to 6G harness (Green is going to voltmeter guage in dash, yellow to firewall solenoid to detect voltage and tell alternator regulator how much to put out).

Wht/blk stator wire no longer needed with the 6G (stator all internal). On the stock wiring harness the wht/blk wire on each plug was simply an external connection from one place on the alternator to the other, does not go anywhere to car.

Reconnect battery cables, red then black.

Bought 6G kit from "grn92conv" on corral... he also sells it on ebay "Romeo_Electrik". He includes everything needed except for 4awg ground which you really should do, I believe I used a 30inch cable from autozone. Measure with a string first.

Questions or corrections?

• Sponsors (?)

6G Alternator

You can find the small case 6G with the bolts 180 degrees from each other on a Mustang V6 starting in 2001. If found in the junkyard, would also grab the upper mounting bolt (smaller than the stock 2G one) and a few inches of the harness connected to the 6G.

It still seems that the large case 3G offers the most amps for the $, but when comparing small case 3G to small case 6G, 6G is a better unit in my opinion.

I've heard many say that with the large case 3G their dash guage never budges. Mine with the small case 6G decreases slightly with turning on each high amp accessory. Very stable output though, independent of engine rpm. Am going to eventually put my underdrive pulleys back on and install E-fan, then we'll see...

It still seems that the large case 3G offers the most amps for the $, but when comparing small case 3G to small case 6G, 6G is a better unit in my opinion.

Good write-up. :nice:

The 6 has better cooling and bearings as I recall.

I kinda went around on this myself but with the marginally better output from the big case, I stayed with a higher-amp 3G (on the 94).

Pic of installed 6G

:)

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,460