Electrical 6G Alternator

Hey guys. I had a 3G and it died on me. I went with a 6G because of the smaller case since I’m running an On3 turbo kit and it sits further from the turbo than the 3G did. My issue is the 6G only gets 14v when I’m at or above 1600rpm. I have underdrive pulley’s installed and an overdrive pulley on the alternator to compensate but it doesn’t help. This was never an issue with my 3G. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Which vehicle did you source the alternator from? 2001-2004 V6 Mustang?

Some of these alternators are PCM controlled for voltage output, so just want to make sure you are using the right one.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I had a 2006 Freestar Limited that had a computer controlled 6G alt. The vehicle had some computer issues and the alternator would go flakey from time to time (no charging or 18V charging or work properly). The temporary solution I used for a while was unplug the regulator and when you start the vehicle, blip the throttle to 2000 RPM (that or 2500) and the alternator would kick into a steady state mode and run at 13.5V all the time, no matter what accessories were in use. So all accessories or no accessories - 13.5V. We ran that way for over a year.