70 Mach I power steering pump question

automart

Jan 26, 2006
Nashville, TN
How do I remove the pulley from the 1970 Mustang power steering pump? I want to get it sand blasted and painted before reinstalling it. There is a large allen head holding it on but don't have anyway of keeping the pulley from turning.

Thanks,

Ronnie

• Sponsors (?)

Pulley Kit

The best thing to do is go down to your local AutoZone, Advanced Auto, or Kragen and ask them do they have a "borrow-buy" tool program. These three auto part stores should have what you need. It's actually called a power steering/alternator pulley kit. It comes with all the goodies needed to pull your pulley off and press it back on. This is definitely the most effective and efficient way to do what you need----with the added bonus of getting your money back when you return the pulley kit! I just did the switcheroo on mine this past weekend. I just have to put the pump back on now. I actually took my A/C off to free up some extra ponies.:D

Good luck!

automart said:
Thanks, I'll do that, what about the large screw in the middle, does that need to come off (sounds like another dumb question) Anyway, if so, is it reverse threads?

Thanks,

Ronnie

That's an interesting question. I can honestly say that I have never seen a screw on the front of the pulley. It probably loosens the left. The puller uses that same screw hole to push the pulley back on and if I remember correctly, I screwed the puller on with "righty tighty"(clockwise). I put my pump on Friday afternoon so i'll double check my assertion.

The threads on the tool engage thrteads in the end of the pump shaft. A split collar goes around the collar on the pulley and a nut that is threaded onto the tool. These are held together by a metal ring. The big nut is turned to remove the pulley from the pump shaft. The process is basically reversed to install the pulley on the pump shaft. The tool kit comes with instructions for use. I bought one a few years back and it has served me well. It paid for itself the first time I used it.