70 mustang wipers don't return to "park" when turned off

• Sponsors (?)

yes - it has always been fine - car has been under resto for 5 yrs - today I played with it a while and they began working fine again - then they would come on with the key out and i turned the switch. now they work only with the key on again and they did not go to park again - i played with the switch some more and now they work just fine again -- strange -- now my washer is not squirting - makes a hum when pushed but no fluid - full bottle and i took a needle to the squirters but no dice - any ideas on what is up with that?

My '66 did the same thing. It was just a loose wire on the back of the switch IIRC, then all was well.

UNTIL a body shop stopped them in the up postion to remove them, and put them back on in the down position. Unfortunately the shafts were still in the up position however. So the first time I turned them on they tried to go down and just overextended them down on the cowl :notnice: scratching the paint and breaking a spring in the passenger wiper arm. :nonono:

fess40 said:
My '66 did the same thing. It was just a loose wire on the back of the switch IIRC, then all was well.

UNTIL a body shop stopped them in the up postion to remove them, and put them back on in the down position. Unfortunately the shafts were still in the up position however. So the first time I turned them on they tried to go down and just overextended them down on the cowl :notnice: scratching the paint and breaking a spring in the passenger wiper arm. :nonono:
wow, i didnt even think of that when i got my car back from the bodyshop. i just installed them and tried them out. im glad they took them off down. i would have been mad if i scratched my brand new paint :D

I am going to pull the rubber hoses off today and blow through them individually and see what happens - If that does not work I may pull the washer motor from the platic tank and see if it has a pickup screen down there that is clogged - I just fear doing that because it is 35yrs old and may break.

I'm confused, how does the washer jets relate to the wiper linkage? Both my 70 mustangs had one wiper that wouldn't go all they way down. The linkage was worn and i replaced them with another used one and they now return to normal.

The squirter has nothing to do with wiper park - it was just another part of a question. As far as your wipers not being connected together properly and parking together you can take out the wiper mechanism after removing the cowl top (3 bolts each side & disconnect from motor) and you can "peen" it back on the joint to make it tight as new again and have no slop whatsoever - I have done this on dozens of 70 mustangs and it works perfectly - that is how Ford assembled them in the first place.