$700 dollars what would you do?

islandcreation

Feb 11, 2007
Okay I posted topics regarding manifolds and headers etc... I have gotten more than enough information. Now I'm trying to make it alot simpler and to get your knowledge! PLEASE

Here's what were working with:

*289 coupe mustang with a 289 engine (rebuilt)
*Automatic
*Edelbrock performance carb
*Edelbrock performance manifold
*2 inch pipes with classic 40's (I want to keep these so I can save up for a 2.5 magnaflow setup. So don't include an exhuast to the $700 limit)

I want a simple weekend cruiser with a little kick. An increase on HP would be great along with reliability.

So if you had my setup and had an extra $700 what would you get? In details please, meaning rather than a new carb what kind of carb? And if possible where to buy the parts so I won't go over $700

Thanks everyone

• Sponsors (?)

I know you said you wanted specifics, there are so many options you're just gonna have to look them up and decide what you want. I'm not quite sure what you want, sounds like you're brainstorming for ideas. Here are some ideas.

-Disc brakes
-Suspension package, a good set of shacks and sway bars, roller spring perches
-Aluminum cross flow radiator with electric fan, and electric fuel pump
-trans shift kit
-poly bushing kit
-If you're lucky you could pick up a used supercharger kit for around $700
-Nitrous kit
-Aluminum heads (used)

A set of gears will make the motor seem much stronger than any cam and it's less work. If you're running a 3.00 gear (like most Mustangs came stock with) a switch to a 3.50 will make the car seem like a whole different car. Add that with a good shift kit and you'll be very happy. Just like 86Bluecobra said...

I would also vote for brakes. I built my motor hotter and got the body looking nice, but I don't enjoy driving it around becasue I know I can't stop too well. My tax return check is going towards a power disk brake kit from NPD.

Thanks guys! I forgot to add that I have power brakes. The front is disk and the rear is drums, I still have problems braking? I have to check the lines for air and see if its the pivot point for the brake pedel? Does that sounds right? That was my assumption after putting countless hours of reading this forum. Is there a topic that I missed on here, or even a site that has good information on brakes for classics? So far I'll make sure the brakes are good and what ever is left will go to what ever you guys suggest. Thanks

Do you have headers?
They are a must.
Better power, torque, mileage, sound, etc...

Next would be gears...
If you drive the car every day, then you don't want much more than 3.25-3.50.
If you only cruise the car now and again, or don't take it on long road trips, 3.50-3.70.

A loose stall converter will help any car, even with a stock cam.

Shift kit and tranny mods can make the car feel faster too, much like gears.

Dave

Do you have headers?
They are a must.
Better power, torque, mileage, sound, etc...

Next would be gears...
If you drive the car every day, then you don't want much more than 3.25-3.50.
If you only cruise the car now and again, or don't take it on long road trips, 3.50-3.70.

A loose stall converter will help any car, even with a stock cam.

Shift kit and tranny mods can make the car feel faster too, much like gears.

Dave

Dave,

What headers do you recommend? I have been looking into tri-y's but for some reason they stated with a 1967 stang that you have to make modifications if you have A/C and mods to the drivers side. Thats kind of alot of work for something thats suppose to be just a bolt on.... But maybe thats just me? Can you or anyone verify this? If there is another alternative with making modes when it comes to headers please tell me. Thanks for the advise so far.... When you say cruiser car what is that in miles? Like today it was nice and sunny here in Northern CA, I drove about 30+ miles today. Probably do the same amount tomorrow too. Thanks

Summit does have LTs for cheap.
I believe they are Flowtechs packaged up for Summit.
All their stuff is made by others and put in a Summit box.

Usually this isn't a problem.
However, Flowtechs for SBFs are often said to have fitment issues on the various Ford boards. Not everyone says it, but many more folks than with 6901s.
It's kinda funny too, because Flowtechs are just Hooker's cheap brand.
You would think they were just 6901s in a different box, but they aren't.

Concerning LTs and shortys:
LTs are a much better option for all the benefits of headers.

Shortys are a compromise to better iron manifolds while retaining total ground clearance. The short tubes and collectors are not geared to low end power or a broad power band.
Dave