70mm MAF adapter

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
I went to the local yard today looking for a '94-'95 T-Bird MAF as well as a Mustang MAF from the same years. What do you know the cars were right next to each other and they both still had their MAF sensors (the T-Bird was actually a 4.6L V8 Cougar). I snag those from the cars, and looked for V8 Explorer throttle bodies while I was there but didn't succeed in finding one.

Comparing the 2 MAF sensors they look virtually identical internally. The only difference I noticed was the Mustang part has a screen on the inlet side and the T-Bird/Cougar part does not.

So I go ahead and start swapping the Mustang sensor (after I cleaned it) over to the T-Bird housing and install the part. All the bolt holes on the factory bracket line up perfectly, and the original MAF as well as the T-Bird MAF are the same overall length and it looks factory once installed. I disconnected the battery and cleared residual electricity from the system as well.

Started the car, it fires right up, idles great, revs normal, and drives normal. Overall I'd say this experiment was a success, and it cost me $35 for both sensors.

I know it's been said that swapping electronics into a new housing shouldn't be done, but I figured what's the harm in trying it. If it doesn't work I'll put the stock one back in.

Pictures of the final result:
20190921_164709.jpg
20190921_164657.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I love going to the junkyard. Even when I’m not looking for something specific. Matter a fact, that’s usually when you find good stuff. Just at random.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I love going to the junkyard. Even when I’m not looking for something specific. Matter a fact, that’s usually when you find good stuff. Just at random.

If I never have to go to a junkyard again, melt in the sun, and get bled dry by mosquitoes, I'll be just fine. I'll let other people go pull all the things they think are valuable and sell them to me on ebay.

Kurt

• Surprised
Where I live it doesn't get too hot, or humid, or have too many bugs because the wind blows them away. Winters can be sort of harsh though.

This morning here in Cheyenne, WY it was a brisk 45°, and it climbed to around 70°. If it gets to 95° here it's super hot. And humidity usually stays around 35%. Even in the summer the night temps fall to the 60's and 70's.

Right now it's 57° and 37% humidity.

This morning here in Cheyenne, WY it was a brisk 45°, and it climbed to around 70°. If it gets to 95° here it's super hot. And humidity usually stays around 35%. Even in the summer the night temps fall to the 60's and 70's.

Right now it's 57° and 37% humidity.

I want to be where you are. It's still hitting mid 90s every day here in Georgia.

Kurt

I did back country camping/hiking for 4 days in Grand Teton WY. Beautiful country out there. Here’s another really cool thing about that trip. It was with my uncle and I was 15 yrs old. He picked me up in Denver and we drove up to Wyoming. The car was my Grandmothers 1969 Mustang Coupe. Mint green, black interior, 302 automatic. I still remember how the turn signals lite up on the hood. The kicker is my uncle let me drive it for part of the return trip. So, my first experience “ever” driving was that car down across the great divide of the northern Rocky Mountains. I’ll never forget it. I remember approaching slower moving car. Uncle Greg said, “ pass ‘em Johnny , floor it”! Passing gear kicked in, wa waaaaaaa..... I was in heaven

Last edited:
The car looked just like this. Silver Jade. Except the hubcaps were different. It had those five spoke mag looking hubcaps. Sorry for the drift but every time Wyoming comes up, these good memories surface. .

537A3088-F2F4-4A1E-B67D-11F04AD0541E.png

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
I drove through Wyoming in a Uhaul rental bringing my brother's MR2 back from Washington State. I thought the wind was going to blow the truck over.

Kurt

I drove through Wyoming in a Uhaul rental bringing my brother's MR2 back from Washington State. I thought the wind was going to blow the truck over.

Kurt
It happens all the time. The highways are closed to light and high profile vehicles regularly. I've been blown into the next lane by wind and there's nothing you can do about it. Icy conditions, ground blizzards, and wind make for a treacherous drive. 4WD in the winter and good tires are almost mandatory here.

I remember an abundance of small mammals crossing the roads, some who didnt make it. Hit a couple ourselves. There were so many its impossible to avoid hitting a few. Are those prairie dogs or something else?

It happens all the time. The highways are closed to light and high profile vehicles regularly. I've been blown into the next lane by wind and there's nothing you can do about it. Icy conditions, ground blizzards, and wind make for a treacherous drive. 4WD in the winter and good tires are almost mandatory here.

I have a 4wd car with good tires, but I don't live in Wyoming.

Kurt

Oh i got my dose of wyoming wildlife on the trip. I got charged by a yearling black bear on day 2. I was in front and I froze in my tracks. My uncle came running down the trail behind just in time to spook the youngster up a tree. The mother and sibling were about 50 yrds away in the brush. Luckily mom turned and disappeared into the brush. We gawked at this thing for a minute or two while it squealed up a storm as it clung to the tree trunk 20 feet up. Came really close to a big old moose later that day. The moose didnt scare me. The bear did

If I never have to go to a junkyard again, melt in the sun, and get bled dry by mosquitoes, I'll be just fine. I'll let other people go pull all the things they think are valuable and sell them to me on ebay.

Kurt

Same here. As much as I love junkyard hunting these days....I’ll just buy it on eBay. Junkyards around here tend to be mud pits most of the time or 95 degrees