70mm MAF upgrade. 94'-95' Mustangs only?

Exile

Apr 3, 2012
Dallas, Tx
I have a 91' Mustang, and was gonna hit up the junk yards this weekend to see if I can find a 70mm MAF off of a newer year model Mustang for a cheap(er) upgrade. Everything I have read says to use a 70mm MAF off of a 94'-95' V6 or V8 Mustang?

But my question is will the MAF off of a 96'-98' Mustang work? Or are they different than the 94'-95' MAF's?

• Sponsors (?)

Go to a you pull with access to Hollander Interchange.
They will give you a list of all the cars that use the same MAF as the one you are looking for.
All sorts of Fords, Lincolns, Mercs used the big MAF with the Fox style plug. 6 and 8 cylinder cars too.
When we got our u-pull MAF, we also found an SN95 v6 (iirc) with a cold air kit, that had been wrecked in the front.
One of the parts of the cold air kit that wasn't damaged was a piece of aluminum tube with the flange that bolts to the MAF.
So we took that scrap of aluminum as well, and cut the tube off close to the flange, bolted it to the MAF, and used the little stub of tube left on the flange to put our intake hose over. I think you can buy adapters, but this was dirt cheap and easy for the exact same thing.
I'll post a pic if I find it.

Pretty much anything after 95 will have the wrong plug.
Check RJM, they might have an adapter pig-tail though. I am almost sure they do.

70mm MAF.jpg

Arrow marks the adapter flange...

If I remember correctly the reason you want to use the 94-95 they have the closest transfer curve to the fox computer. You don't want to slap on the wrong MAF as it can cause the engine to run lean even though you may not notice it.

Here is a list I did of interchangeable MAF's a few months back.

1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579- A1a or A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang, Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2

For the flange adapter, you can either buy this adapter , look on ebay, fab on up.

http://www.kustomz.com/components.html

Reactions: 1 users
If I remember correctly the reason you want to use the 94-95 they have the closest transfer curve to the fox computer. You don't want to slap on the wrong MAF as it can cause the engine to run lean even though you may not notice it.

For the flange adapter, you can either buy this adapter , look on ebay, fab on up.

That sounds about right.
I think there are some T-Bird/Cougar models too according to Hollander, but that is a good list there.
I think ours came from a Town Car, but don't recall exactly.
It's really a no-brainer to use a MAF that much larger that is calibrated the same.
I don't know why everyone doesn't do it. I look into the stock MAF, and find it hard to believe it is even 55mm!

Our car was on the dyno with widebands, and running pig rich with the stock MAF, and the SN95 MAF cleared that right up until we went with the Cartech upper and CAI.
We have since gone to 24s, with no other changes, and it is dead on.

I just came across a MAF from a 94' Crown Victoria with part # F2VF-12B579-AA
But it doesnt have the "2" in the middle of the last 3 digits. "-A2A" It just says "-AA"?
Will this MAF work for me?

I just came across a MAF from a 94' Crown Victoria with part # F2VF-12B579-AA
But it doesnt have the "2" in the middle of the last 3 digits. "-A2A" It just says "-AA"?
Will this MAF work for me?
should be fine.
Also the guy who has the MAF has pulled off/separated the electronics from the housing, but he says they are in good working condition?

Is there any problems with him removing the electronics from the housing?, and me putting the electronics back on the housing, and using it on my car? Or is it a no no to remove the electronics from the housing? (seems like I read that somewhere?)

You should NOT swap out the electronics from one housing to another. You swap out the MAF with the housing, not the electronics.
Yea I plan on using the whole Crown Vic 70mm housing, and MAF sensor, its just the guy who has it has taken the electronic sensor off of the housing. (2 separate pieces) He's telling me to just put the sensor back on the housing, and it should be good to go? I just wanted to make sure that its even ok to be removing the electronic sensor off of the housing? even though the same sensor is going back on the same housing.

Yea I plan on using the whole Crown Vic 70mm housing, and MAF sensor, its just the guy who has it has taken the electronic sensor off of the housing. (2 separate pieces) He's telling me to just put the sensor back on the housing, and it should be good to go? I just wanted to make sure that its even ok to be removing the electronic sensor off of the housing? even though the same sensor is going back on the same housing.

It's ok to remove the electronics- usually to clean them- but you have to be very careful in handling it. The sensor wires are very brittle. As long as you put it back in the same housing you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

You're not supposed to take credit for work that other people have done. All of this information has been posted into a sticky that has been available here for years. I can tell that you ripped it off from there by the formatting of the vehicle years. It's backwards.

Stang&2birds posted the kustomz website link and jrichker posted the list of compatible MAF sensors.

Please give credit where credit is due.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/94-95-maf-install-completed.616246/

Reactions: 1 user
Posted by JRichker on 9 February 2007. :chin

Looks like it is a 97-98 Explorer or Mountaineer with a 5.0 engine.

See http://www.swapsupply.biz/ECD/11b-mafapplicationguide.pdf for full details .
You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

There is a full list of MAF sensor elements listed by part number and cross referenced to the vehicle they came off of. Looks like a very handy list to have.

The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 MAF sensor is also found on:

1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,

You're not supposed to take credit for work that other people have done. All of this information has been posted into a sticky that has been available here for years. I can tell that you ripped it off from there by the formatting of the vehicle years. It's backwards.

Stang&2birds posted the kustomz website link and jrichker posted the list of compatible MAF sensors.

Please give credit where credit is due.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/94-95-maf-install-completed.616246/

Look, I don't know what your problem is but you are barking up the wrong tree. If that information was from them, then hey thanks for sharing.

First, that list has been copied and pasted all over the internet on several boards. I actually think I got it from the Corral or Mustang Works. Regardless I clearly stated that it is a list I did a few months back.. FOR ME GET IT? I so happened to be looking to change the top end on the mustang i bought in August. I have lists of junkyard/interchangeable parts and other lists saved on my computer going back 30 years. I didn't realize that I am supposed to go back and research every damn time I post to find out where I got that information. Let me go back now and look at all my post from the early 1990's on Corral and other boards so I can ask everyone to give me "credit" for anything they may be posting which I had said then.

Jesus f christ on a cracker man. You need to ask before you leap to accusing people.

Reactions: 1 user