73 convertible top Slows down then stops starter then the Starter motor relay clicks

Clue

Sep 10, 2020
Wisconsin
My ‘73 ‘stang convertible top starts to go up, slows down then stops you can hear And feel the starter motor relay Click. then no movement until the relay clicks again then you can lower it back, sometime the relay will click and top will stop. Relay will again click and you can finish putting it down.

• Sponsors (?)

The first thing I would do is identify the positive and ground wires for the motor. Feed 12 volts directly to the motor and see how it does. If it seems healthy then you can look at the relay itself as the next possible suspect.

Also: Check the fluid level in the pump/motor and ensure that it is properly serviced (I don't actually know off the top of my head if there were any style other than electric-hydraulic).

The first thing I would do is identify the positive and ground wires for the motor. Feed 12 volts directly to the motor and see how it does. If it seems healthy then you can look at the relay itself as the next possible suspect.

Also: Check the fluid level in the pump/motor and ensure that it is properly serviced (I don't actually know off the top of my head if there were any style other than electric-hydraulic).

I filled the fluids first, and bleed it, no bulbs in lines. I just ran 12 volts direct to it and it went about 1/3rd way up and stop, previously it was going 1/6th of the way before stopping. My thought it is the pump, but seams strange to me.

I filled the fluids first, and bleed it, no bulbs in lines. I just ran 12 volts direct to it and it went about 1/3rd way up and stop, previously it was going 1/6th of the way before stopping. My thought it is the pump, but seams strange to me.

Maybe not so strange if the internal contacts are corroded or the motor brushes require replacement. If it's never been rebuilt, it's a pretty good bet it's the brushes. It's just not generating the torque it once did.

Look in your area for an alternator/motor/pump repair shop. That is probably your least expensive route assuming you are able to remove and reinstall the pump yourself.