73 couger w/ 351c

Se7enine

Jul 10, 2006
Bakersfield
73 cougar w/ 351c

I was scouting out the local yard Friday and found a clean 351c with a Auto in a 73 cougar. My question is how much out of the engine bay can I use, radiator , shifter , manifolds, reservoir etc. for my 70 Mustang? I'm new to these classics and don't know whats compatible. I plan on taking the engine and tranny but not sure what else is an option to take. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks

73 351C

the engine is the same though in 1973 the 351C is smogged out with 8.5 to 1 compression compared to 11 to 1 in 1970.
Check the heads on this engine, they could be either 2 Barrel (2V) or 4 Barrel heads (4V). This can be told by looking at the front corner of the drivers side head, there will be either a 2 or a 4in the corner near the valve cover. Preference would be for a 4V set of heads, for max performance. I have a set I'll sell if you need them.
Alot of the peripherals, powersteering pump, Rad, Air Cleaner, etc all changed when the Mustang was re-designed in 1971.
You can use the engine, maybe the shifter, the tranny is good, manifolds are good, resevoir is a no go.
Let me know if you have any questions.

I've owned & built both 70's & 71-73 Mustang 351C engines, so I'm well versed in them.
Mach1steve