73 mustang blower build info needed

73stang347

Sep 20, 2018
baton rouge
Building a 73 mustang with a sbf and 6-71 blower unit. Was going to build an engine for the car, but ran into a great deal on a 347 stroker. Motor was built by a company called TriStar. The static compression ratio is 9.5:1. I would like to run the 6-71 for a little bit of extra power but mostly for the old school look. Question is 1.) can I run the 6-71 on this engine in its current build form. 2.) If so, what would be the recommended boost level? 3.) If the engine needs to be redone, what would anyone recommend on being changed? First time doing a blower build so any information would be a great help. Thank you in advance. TriStar engine specs are listed below.
• Scat cast steel crank
• 4340 Forged connecting rods with ARP cap screws
• HP Hypereutectic pistons
• Moly rings
• Clevite main and rod bearings
• True roller double roller timing set
• Howards hydraulic flat tappet camshaft (roller optional)
Camshaft Advertised Duration
277° Intake
289° Exhaust
Camshaft Duration @ .050"
223° Intake
235° Exhaust
Camshaft Lift
.496" Intake
.520" Exhaust
Heads
• Tri Star HP aluminum heads
• 2.02 stainless intake valves
• 1.60 stainless exhaust valves
• HP valve springs
• Roller rocker arms
• Hardened pushrods
Additional Parts Included
• Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold
• Quick Fuel HR ("Hot Rod") series carburetor
• MSD distributor
• Autolite spark plugs
• MSD spark plug wires
• Tri Star Polished aluminum valve covers
• Aluminum timing cover
• HD Harmonic Balancer
• Stamped steel oil pan
• Melling oil pump and screen
Horsepower
Torque

• Sponsors (?)

yes you can run the 6/71 blower on that motor, just keep the boost pressure down around 6psi max. that will still add power without causing issues.

one thing i would suggest though is to go with a thicker head gasket than what is supplied with the engine. most companies use a gasket with about .048" compressed thickness, if you bump that to something like .053-.058" compressed thickness, you can drop a few tenths of a point without hurting power, and make it easier to run the lighter fluid that the gas companies sell us these days.