77 Versailles rear install tips?

I just purchased a 77 Versailles rear 9" for my 65 coupe. I plan to have cleaned up, refreshed and installed in next month or so. Please give me any advise or tips you may have on the install, rebuild or brakes. I have read all the articles on the rear end swap sticky. Please give me any other install links or tips, thanks!

I also paid $300, did I pay too much, 2:50.1 gears, no rotors, does have calipers & brackets.

• Sponsors (?)

I did this a last winter. It was really not a big deal at all.

You will need to probably shorten the driveshaft a bit. What rear was in before an 8 inch or are you doing an I6 to V8 conversion? I did a V8 conversion so I just had a custom aluminum driveshaft made for the 9 inch and T5 combo.

Before installing the rear end I would rebuild it and change the gears to a more suitable gear ratio like 3.00 to 3.70 depending on transmission your running. The Versailles comes with some lousy ratios like 2.50 and 2.70 I think. I would also add a traction lock at the same time. What I did was get a rebuilt center section with 3.50 gears and traction lock. I would also put all new bearings. The bearings on the axles have to be pressed on the shafts. I had that done at a local shop.

I installed my Versailes rear end fully assembled expect for the brakes. I thought it was easier like this. That way I could get the center section installed and torqued down better. I also got new brass washers for the studs.

The brakes are a bit tricky. You need to get them adjusted right so the E brake levers work correctly so that the parking/E brake works. I got all me Versailles parts from Rock Auto. I even got new Raybestos E brake cables. I had to make my own intermediate cable though.

Mustangs Plus also sell Versailles and Granada parts.

I also didn't keep the Versailles style driveshaft flange it have the traditional style with the U bolts. This is what my new center section came with and what most Mustangs had.

This is just about all the links I have for Versailles information. Don't let some of this info discourage you.

1970s Lincoln Versailles/Ford Granada 9-inch Rearend Swap - Tech Articles - Mustang Monthly Magazine

Ford Falcon Restoration Tips

http://hetclub.com/disc/brakes.htm

Get any group of Ford enthusiasts together to talk about brakes and the Granada or Lincoln Versials disc brake rear end will come up

Kevinstang's Ford Nine Inch Differential Page +

Ford nine inch differential cases +

Ford Rear Axle Information

Lincoln Versailles 9" Rearend Swap

Tech Page

Mustangs Plus - Tech Articles - Lincoln Versailles Rear Disc Conversion Tips

Also the rotors are directional so they are L and R specific.

Does it have the E brake levers? Those are hard to find.

My E brake cables were dragging on the floor boards so I took some of the copper tubing that was flexible enough to make fit where I wanted it to for the cable to ride in.

I say ditch the versailles brakes and pickup a set of MustangSteve brackets for the 2008 MustangGT brakes. It'll save a bit of weight and also a bit of headache finding and buying parts. I did the swap on my versailles 9" and haven't looked back.

When I built mine I changed to 3:70 gears on a traction lock assembly along with switching the yoke to the original style. When it came to the brakes I powder coated the originals and bought all new pads and fittings and then discovered that they were less than perfect from the factory. I called Baer and ordered a kit from them which lead to their front kit too......Funny how one thing leads to another.
View attachment 246078
View attachment 246079

The brakes on mine are shot, the lines are even bent and damaged w/ no e-brake cables. I'm thinking about using different brakes, something a little more available. Kinda thought about the Explorer set up, I'm looking to save money here, so mustang Steve might be a little too high (still need to research). I also just installed 10 1/4 front discs (scare bird). I was happy w/ the install, but wonder is it a bad thing to have larger rear disc that the front? My current wheels are 14" but I plan to install 17x8".

Are the e-brake levers the levers attached to the caliper, about 2" long? If so, yes I have them, no rotors. Capliers are bad only good for cores.

Axle is not a track lock. I do plan to replace the bearing before my install, I probably won’t look for a track loc/gears yet for money reasons and the car won’t hit the road till next spring/summer, but I do need it to roll around the garage.

When I built mine I changed to 3:70 gears on a traction lock assembly along with switching the yoke to the original style. When it came to the brakes I powder coated the originals and bought all new pads and fittings and then discovered that they were less than perfect from the factory. I called Baer and ordered a kit from them which lead to their front kit too......Funny how one thing leads to another.
View attachment 246033
View attachment 246034

I'm looking to do your exact same stance and wheel/tire combo, looks good!

the exploder setup has the new ford bolt pattern and your versailles has the lg bearing old ford bolt pattern, you can get cobra conversion brackets from currie for 149.00, brand new cobra rotors from auto parts warehouse for 22.00 each, the cobra calipers are the exact same as the 94-04 regular gt calpiers but use a thinner brake pad and a cobra specific caliper mounting bracket, the brackets are available from autozone for 29.00 each or the junk yard. I'n my case I found frpp brand new cobra calipers for 199.00 online, they also come with the brackets AND carbon metallic brake pads. Cobra rear conversion kit for under 400.00 and you can do it cheaper. The versailles brake hoses work perfect but you need the correct banjo bolts for the calipers.