78 sport package ghia rarity

• Sponsors (?)

There were 34,730 Ghias built in 1978. How many were the sport package, well, no idea.

Regardless, the car is relatively rare now.

20190730_194014.jpg
20190814_154133.jpg

Thats what it looked like when i got it
20190814_154117.jpg

I then found out that my rear bumper is completely shot, but besides the bumper the undercarriage has pretty much no rust

Reactions: 1 users
Wow that how my bumpers looked.
I still was able to use the core to hang fiberglass smoothies on it and have some protection.
Digging the trailer hitch!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know that the 'Sport Package' was anything other than a dealer installed thing. I don't see any VIN# designation for it.
It was a thing, it was the Ghia with a ralleye steering wheel and black grille instead of silver. I have a Ghia Sport grille in ElSuperPinto. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_(second_generation) (see 1977)

Mustang IIs were weird when it came to VIN coding. Even King Cobras didn't have anything in the VIN, you have to look at the buck tag on the core support to tell what trim level you're looking at for sure.

There were all sorts of weird packages too, the MPG package, the Ralleye package, the Stallion cars (which shared their appearance pack with Pintos and Mavericks), Ghia Sport, and a few others I'm forgetting. I really wish MustangII.net hadn't shut down for good and switched to being a Facebook group after being hacked, all this info was archived there. MustangII.org has some of it, but it's not nearly as complete.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if anyone still has the production numbers for sub-models like that except for probably a Marti report. If you truly want to know how rare your specific car is I don't think there's a better place to get your info from. To have that info, you'd need to order the deluxe report at $46.

On a side note, I really like your car! It's almost identical to my first car when I was 16!

My first car was a '76II, MPG, with Ghia and MPG badges. The 'MPG' came in with the 2.3L-4 and the v8 rear axle configuration. You needed a running start to make most steep hills, but it would hum along at 90mph without breaking a sweat. They truly did make all kinds of oddballs.

Mine are the trim delete stock depth bumpers
I put it together with two carriage bolts on each smoothie fiberglass bumper which I probably didn't need
The bolts were to keep foam from pushing the bumper off the frame not to hold it on
They are filled with closed cell expandable automotive grade foam and thats what holds em on.
Been good for over ten yrs at this point

They have fiberglass bumpers now of different depths at CAR

fullsizeoutput_186f.jpeg
DSCF0005.JPG