82 To 87 LX Taillight Swap Wiring HELP!!

Mustang78

Feb 8, 2006
Aberdeen, WA
I searched and couldent find what i wanted, i am switching my 82 taillights to a set of mint 87LX tails i bought at the junkyard today, i just couldent pass em up..I will have before and after pictures when i'm all done, and i think it's gonna look much better. My first idea since both bulbs(not reverse, it doesnt light up with the new tranny) light up with the parking, brake and turn signals on(both bulbs always do the same exact thing, always). And on the 87 tails there is only one brake light, and one separate turn light in the clear bar at the top(what is the little corner bulb for? its next to the brake light) (i am doing this mod without hacking up the car to the point where i cant put it back fairly easily, of coarse) I would put one bulb in the turn signal spot and one bulb in the brake spot so they both do the same exact thing, always just like on my stock taillights, but i dont really want my turn signal also being a brake light, and vice versa for the brake light. the same green/red stripe wire is used for both the brake and turn signals on both, and if i unplug one bulb the other doesnt work, can i just splice the wires to the other bulb? i can live with only having one bulb in the big red box that acts as brake light AND turn signal light, if i have to..i have the harness from the 87 too but i dont think i need it, thanks for any help, even if i get bashed for these taillights, i can always switch back

~Mark~

• Sponsors (?)

my other thought is to put a bulb in the extra socket, wrap it in foil and tuck it behind the taillight panel..or cut the small hole in the corner for the little light bigger and put it there..i would like to make it operate exactly like the 87, but i dont think thats an option without major rewiring..even though i have an 86 parts car i can get parts from if the sending unit(s) are different..i hate to alter it to the point of no return, and i am only drilling one additional hole for this swap and if i dont use the OEM 87 turn signal location then i dont need to hack up any of the tail panel, so thats another factor. Hope somebody chimes in

~Mark~