84 306 runs rich and skips

84coupe306

Jan 22, 2006
Rocky Face,GA
Howdy I would just like to say that I am new here and my name is nathan I just bought a 84 coupe with a 306 in it and its running really rich and it hesitates and skips.It has a holley and it looks like it use to have electric choke but now it doesn't have a choke at all.Also the guy I got it from said it had big jets in it for drag racing whats a good street/strip friendly jet to use?

If you punch it will die if you dont let off of the throttle then push it again.It will start skipping and sputtering and most embarrasing it will backfire.If you accelerate slow and smoothly it runs fine but as soon as you floor it it starts acting up.I was gonna change plugs,wires,rotor,cap and all that good stuff but I dont really have the money right now and I think alot of my problem is in my carb because it just looks rough as crap.BTW its a holley 4bbl.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nathan-

• Sponsors (?)

Need a good bit more info.

Exactly what carb, by carb number. The number should be on the front of the air horn. 4779, 80457, or something like that. Need to know if it is vac secondary or mechanical.

There are several adjustments, such as accelerator pump tip in, power valve, etc, and the main jet size that can affect this.

Timing is also a big possibility. Need to know what dist you have. Hopefully you have the appropriate Duraspark 2 for an 84 Mustang. If you have a later TFI, it will be hard to get it to run.

You need to know what your base timing is, and what mechanical and vac advance you are getting.

Most likely some fixes to the above and it will run great.

Sounds also like you may not be getting enough fuel, if its bogging down and shutting off only when you stomp it? Metering blocks may be stopped up. And to see what your timing is, bring #1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke and once it gets there, you need to look at where your timing mark is on the balancer. If you dont have a timing light, mark the '0' timing mark on the balancer with some chalk so you can see it better and see how many degree's retard or advance you have. That can have alot to do with it as rd said. Definatly post your info.

It has a holley 4175 vac secondaries and also the engine (or at least the heads) are from an older car it takes the really big spark plugs but I am not sure what year the engine is.I have been tinkering around with my carb a little but its not really any better.

Whoever had it before me had a hose from the pcv on the valve cover into the carb and its sucking small amounts of oil into carb is this the correct placement for this hose?

Thanks,
Nathan

yea the pcv sometimes runs to the carb. in older Mustangs. Also check your plugs on it, if your running pretty rich then your going to be fouling plugs out. Do you have a points style distributor in it? Whats all done to the engine? Do a basic engine tune up and see what happens from there, you know change the oil, plugs, wires, dizzy cap. etc.