85 to 140 speedo swap

josh88gt

Apr 8, 2007
I just finished swaping out 85mph speedometer with a 140 speedo in my 88' GT. My car is stock for the most part and I am still running 2.73's and the A.O.D.. Since the swap, I'm expeirencing incorrect mph reading. lt's 9 to 10mph off now. Does anybody know why??

• Sponsors (?)

They it should read correctly as no other mods are needed.

Are you positive the original speedo was a 140MPH unit?? I've read of guys installing speedos only to later find it was just an 85MPH speedo with a 140 face on it.

When i swapped a 140MPH speedo into my '88, it read correctly after the swap

The speedo is out of a 89' cop car. the speedometer has "certified calibrated" printed under the pointer. there is no needle for the pointer to rest on and there is no indication there ever was. the number printed on the speedo says, E7-Z. Some people ive talked to say because it was a cop car it would have been a 5 speed and that l probably have to change the gear in the trans. (my car's has AOD).

since you swaped the speedo from 85mph to 140 mph you will have to change the speedo gear located inside your transmission. I think its located near the tail of the aod. you will see a cable going to that location and that cable runs up to through the firewall to your gauge pod. It dosnt matter what the gauge cluster says its still set up for the 85mph unit that was on the car. Go to 5.0resto.com and they should have little gears for speedo/gear swaps.

My car is a '88 GT. IT was originally equiped with a 85MPH speedometer. l know for a fact it was acurate. The only thing that has changed is l have a 140MPH speedometer in the 85MPH's place. NOw im reading on my speedo 40mph when i'm really doing 50mph. I don't understand why it would be 10mph off just because l changed the speedo.

oh, never mind, i read incorectly, yeah i guess if it had an original 140mph unit than he shouldnt have to change a thing. well im guessing maybe the speedo needle is off by 10 mph, just take it off and try to put it back on just barly turning the small needle to the right, then reinstall the speedo needle and drive it and see if it worked. I had that same problem.

all i can say about that is my bad :D

Heres the speedo

Attachments

• speedo (2).jpg
    speedo (2).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 760
shouldnt there be a peg to hold the speedo needle at the 0?? Im not sure if when the car is started that the speedo needle will move to zero or if it stays in the same spot.