87-93 dash swap

tims 86

Apr 19, 2009
pittsburgh,pa
well i tore out my 86 dash to do some work and its in pretty bad shape, how tuff is it to convert to 87-93 type? does wire harness need changed and also the heating stuff? anyone have a 86 dash laying around?

• Sponsors (?)

I would try and find a donor '86 dash. They are around, but you'll have to do some searching. Put a want ad on the Mustang forums--maybe you'll get a bite.

I don't think an '87-'93 dash would look good in your '86. JMO though. And yes, you will have to make wiring changes (not sure if the whole harness requires replacement-it is likely) if changing over to the later dash.

I would try and find a donor '86 dash. They are around, but you'll have to do some searching. Put a want ad on the Mustang forums--maybe you'll get a bite.

I don't think an '87-'93 dash would look good in your '86. JMO though. And yes, you will have to make wiring changes (not sure if the whole harness requires replacement-it is likely) if changing over to the later dash..
agreed

well i tore out my 86 dash to do some work and its in pretty bad shape, how tuff is it to convert to 87-93 type? does wire harness need changed and also the heating stuff? anyone have a 86 dash laying around?

It is really easy if you swap the harness, otherwise you have to repin the wires and it is still not that bad. As far as looks go, it looks the same as any other mustang as long as you either paint or vinyl a small black strip at the bottom of the windshield. The heating stuff is interchangeable except for the heat valve cable, you will need a new one.

Sweet was just thinking on doing this soon. The bolt patterns are the same I assume. If not it can't be that hard to change it around can it? Also will the center console swap too? Again don't see why not. Basically I'm turning my 1980 into a 1990 LOL. I think all I have left for the change over is the dash and console.

Sweet was just thinking on doing this soon. The bolt patterns are the same I assume. If not it can't be that hard to change it around can it? Also will the center console swap too? Again don't see why not. Basically I'm turning my 1980 into a 1990 LOL. I think all I have left for the change over is the dash and console.

If I can remember right, I had to bend the tabs down by the windshield and use the nylon inserts, everything else bolted the same. Just be careful by the windshield, I almost broke mine. The console will bolt up just fine.

Ah yes, the decision between having a cheap *ss looking dash like the 4-eyes have, or the stupid FUGLY looking 87-93 dash. :)

Hmm, decisions, decisions... :)

IMHO, keep the crappy dash that came with the car - regardless of the year. :)

If the problem is with the dash pad (up top), then do what I did (and what I highly recommend) - put a plastic dash cover over it. Plus, you can even get the plastic covers already painted.

I've had my coverlay dash cover for over a dozen years, and it still looks as good today as when I first put it on. :)

Coverlay Manufacturing - Replacement Door Panels and Dash Covers
79-86 Ford Mercury Dash Cover 12-105

79-86 Ford Mercury Dash Cover 12-105
416_image.jpg

Fits: 79-86 Mustang, Capri, 81-82 Granada, Cougar (except XR-7)

This dash cover is custom formed to the exact shape of your original dash. It is installed over top of the original dash, and is held in place with silicone adhesive (provided). The installation can usually be completed in 30 minutes or less. No special tools are required. No original parts need to be removed. Dash covers can be purchased in several standard colors.
Exact color match can not be guaranteed.

Price: $98.00

Some old pictures that show my dash with the coverlay:
Mustang Photos 1986 GT

2989_024.JPG

2989_025.JPG

You can see a little of the dash in this more recent picture:
Mustang 86 - Mach1 Springs

Mustang-86-Mach1spings-10-2007Pic_12.jpg

Thanks for the input but im gonna switch anyways. nothing in the car is from 1980 anyways but the body and dash wiring. and IMO the early fox dashes are the uglyest things i have ever seen anlong with that nasty four eyed front end. I didnt spend anything on this new dash anyways i work at a junk yard and pulled it there before we crushed the nasty 4 banger vert.

IMO the early fox dashes are the uglyest things
i have ever seen anlong with that nasty four eyed front end.

Yea, Four eyes suck. Everyone hates them.
Yup, no one would ever want a 4 eye car - no one! ;)

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
0621101841.jpg

1986 Mustang GT 5.0
Mustang-86-Mach1spings-10-2007Pic_08.jpg

IMHO, for a 4-eye Fox Stang, I care a lot less that someone puts on a aero front-end, or 87+ dash as compared to the horror at even the thought that they still may have the COMPLETELY WORTHLESS stock brakes!!! :eek:

Good luck with your swap.