Brakes 87 GT - Bit of an issue installing (and now removing) a '93 brake booster

Aaron

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Hi all,

I am in the middle of upgrading my brake booster to a '93 Cobra version. I am doing this because I am just about done installing 94+ Cobra brakes all the way around my '87 GT. So here's the deal, I got myself into a bit of a jam, and before I do something I probably shouldn't, I want to see if anyone has any advice for me.

I followed the advice of many, and, rather than hammer on the shock tower to provide clearance to the booster, I elongated the top left hole, so that the booster could be installed on more of an angle. Well, I probably did not elongate the hole enough, because I had a hell of a time getting the bolts to go through the firewall mounting holes. Basically I kept pushing, jiggling, pushing some more, until I got to a point where 3 bolts are in the hole, but the 4th bolt is still not in, and I can't get it to go in, because I'm right up against the shock tower and It's just not budging any more.

So you figure, no big deal right? Pull the booster out, make the hole bigger, and try again. Well, here's where the real problem comes in. I don't know how exactly I got the booster to the point of where it is, but now, it's not coming out. Now, I can't angle it far enough away from the shock tower to get it to pull out. I was wrestling with it for a couple hours this AM, and finally gave up.

So before I cut the bolts off and have to buy a new booster, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this thing back out? I know, I am probably out of luck, but I figure I would post this just in case. Maybe this happened to someone else and they can give some pointers.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You can see how close I got...

20180624_135147.jpg

20180624_135339.jpg

So I have been trying similar ideas. The booster is being held up by the threads on the bolts. The metal must be on a low spot of the threads on a bolt. It sort of "clunked" into place as I was pushing, and now is not budging. I may try some more tomorrow, but it's really stuck in there.

I'd probable try bolting the old stock MC on it, and then using the leverage from that to wiggle and pull it out.

Is that a 93 cobra or Sn95 booster?

You could also try wedgeing a screwdriver against the firewall to try and deflect it a tad to see if it releases the threads.

Hey man, it's a 93 booster. So very glad I didn't go with a 94+ version. Then again, maybe I wouldn't be as stuck as I am now...

Interesting idea on bolting up the old MC. I may try that this weekend. Prying with a crowbar has been useless to date. This thing is wedged in there!

Hard to tell from your pics, but if it is right at the point of going, I might try a rubber mallet, or even a block of wood as a cushion and seeing if I couldn't get it the last bit of the way.

I cut my bolts, elongated the holes, wrapped it in a towel and hammered it in with a rubber mallet.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
I had a hell of a time getting the old one out, improvised a come-along to yank it out. I enlarged the holes on mine using a step drill. I couldn't get the MC off without special socket because 3/8 drive sockets hit the shock tower., had to cut down a 14mm deep well 1/4" drive socket. Now that it's hung up on the threads, get it out any way you can.

I just did this a few weeks ago. Just get a piece of wood, and a hammer and hit the studs , I tapped mine in from basically the same position yours is in. Just make sure your holes are enlarged enough. If that doesn’t work I’d get punch and hammer from the inside of the car to get it out then make the holes largee. I did both pass side holes not just the 1.

I wondered why no one has not tried 1. Putting the nuts on the studs, cutting the studs a bit, taking the nuts off and chasing with a die if ugly.
How much clearance can we gain this way? Or -HOW SHORT can we safely make the studs???
SN-95 discs SHOULD be my next modification. But TFR heads are calling.

I wondered why no one has not tried 1. Putting the nuts on the studs, cutting the studs a bit, taking the nuts off and chasing with a die if ugly.
How much clearance can we gain this way? Or -HOW SHORT can we safely make the studs???
SN-95 discs SHOULD be my next modification. But TFR heads are calling.

Post #8

I don't remember how much I trimmed so I don't want to quote and incorrect number. Plus who knows if all booster studs are exactly the same lenght.

But I trimmed them, slotted the holes a tad and it went right in. Never touched the shock tower at all.

Hardest part for me was getting the nuts on the studs under the dash with my dash and all wiring in place. Could never get the right angle to spin it on.

For me, physically getting the booster in place was the hardest. Removing and reinstalling the nuts was a PITA, but I was never at a point where I couldn't make progress.
Hopefully I will have this upgrade done this week. It's been slow going, as I don't have much time at all to work on the car.

20180622_180027 (1).jpg

20180622_193806.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Going 5-lug disk was always the most favorite mod I ever did to the car. Really nice to be able to push the car and still have the means to stop it. I haven't driven s stock brake fox in s decade or so, but I can remember a few oh crap moments with mine.

Marking the bolts on old booster for minimum needed length before it came off would probably be easy enough. But I had wondered how much difficulty that would add to getting the nuts on the new booster.