87 mustang leaks

wingzero_ac19x

Feb 6, 2006
My car has a leak running down to the drivers side floorboard from under the dash. It is coming from the left corner back behind the pedals... I know that aint the greatest of explanations, but I was wondering if that sounds like a windshield leak or a rust hole? I dont know if these mustangs are known to leak like that due to one particular thing. Also, the protective coating under the carpet and insulation on the floorboard is cracked and broken due to the water. Is it possible to repair that coating? Thanks for any help...

• Sponsors (?)

I think the "protective coating" you mention is just the sound deadening material. It usually is cracked.

I would have to guess that it is a windshield leak, but you will have to get your head under the dash to locate it better. Maybe you can use a hose to help induce the leak condition?

The other possibility is that there is a cap/plug missing from the firewall or floor boards

Been there...done that.... I looked under there while someone sprayed it with a water hose...I started from the bottom edge of the windshield and worked my way up...sometimes it leaks. sometimes it dont...but when it leaks it comes from the very left corner under the dash and runs down the seem where the kick panel meets the floorboard going behind the pedals.... thanks for the response...

nah, not the door seal, I know that is coming down under the dash, and I know that would seem to be a give away of a windshield leak, but I would think it would leak past the trim inside the car too, instead of running down under dash...

Best idea is to carefully pull off the cowl vent trim piece and the windshield trim and look.

My 82 had leaks there and then some. When I took it apart for paint, I found rust holes in the windshield attachment area. Clear silicone fixed all of them.

I also had a rust out at the drivers corner of the firewall, behind the stock sealant. Put a piece of tin over that.