Engine 87 rear main leak

87 black gt

Jan 24, 2016
Looking for ideas on rear main seal leak 87 302 fuel injection stock rebuilt i used seal sleeves new seals put them on dry put them on with oil did everything except weld the opening shut I am out of ideas and patience any ideas on this

• Sponsors (?)

I’m surprised karthief didn’t give you the punctuation scpheal. ;) Mine leaks a little too. But, a little punctuation goes as long way.

Last edited:
I am going to summit today and get the seal .
I used this seal with good luck after the stock replacement leaked worse than the original:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-2941
Do you put the plastic guide on the crankshaft, and slide the seal on ,or use a seal driver ,or do both?

So far so good. It's been in about a year and a half and isn't leaking. It's not in the instructions but it must be installed dry.

Definitely use the plastic guide that comes with it to slide it over the crank shaft, and your probably going to have to use a seal driver to get it to seat all the way.

I used a 4" PVC plumbing cleanout fitting to drive in my seal. Worked out well for $2

dsc00450-2-jpg.jpg

I used a 4" PVC plumbing cleanout fitting to drive in my seal. Worked out well for $2

dsc00450-2-jpg.jpg

dsc00450-2-jpg.jpg
That is what I used,and worked like a champ, thanks. Now I hope it will not leak.

dsc00450-2-jpg.jpg

dsc00450-2-jpg.jpg
That is the a me thing

dsc00450-2-jpg.jpg
Thats, exca

Rear main seal still leaks, I even put the Teflon seal in ,my question is, do I have a bad crankshaft or is there something else causing this.pcv working good I am at my wits end about this.

Rear main seal still leaks, I even put the Teflon seal in ,my question is, do I have a bad crankshaft or is there something else causing this.pcv working good I am at my wits end about this.

Did you put it on dry or oil the perimeter of the seal first.
You sure it's the RMS and not the intake, valve cover gaskets, oil pan or even the flywheel bolts?

Reactions: 1 user