Progress Thread '88 GT Hell Horse - All over the place

Hmmm.... I wonder if the diypnp will take a pulsed input from the vss and use that to calculate mph.... if so I can do this dash swap as well.

That was my 1st thought that you would need to setup your own custom channel to display mph. The center circle in the tach will be used for Gear. I will also be adding at some point a trip meter and odometer too.

The turbo picture, I plan on having it switch from a white for off to a green turbo for on to show when the water meth it working as well.

• Sponsors (?)

That was my 1st thought that you would need to setup your own custom channel to display mph. The center circle in the tach will be used for Gear. I will also be adding at some point a trip meter and odometer too.

The turbo picture, I plan on having it switch from a white for off to a green turbo for on to show when the water meth it working as well.
That's very cool I have never set one of them up, what program/firmware does that need? Got links to the hardware package?

I mean for the dash you are building.
I thought you were talking about the MS system that I was using.

You have good timing because I just got in the screen.

I am building my own power supply instead of the common cigarette lighter plug with USB adapter. Didn't want the fault point for power, and most are not that strong power supply wise. The RPi wants 2.5V-3V to have it run at full speed, but it can run at lower voltage but will loose speed.

Lastly, I will be plugging the serial to USB adaptor from the MS that I use to for the laptop now directly into the RPi3 for the communication to the dash. I will not be using Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I thought you were talking about the MS system that I was using.

You have good timing because I just got in the screen, but have outline the hardware for my new dash below.

RPi Model B
7" LCD HDMI 1024 x 600 resolution
Micro USB 12V to 5V Power Inverter
Mini Timer Time Delay

I am using the power inverter instead of the common cigarette plug USB adaptor. Didn't want the fault point for power, and most are not that strong power supply wise.

I'm also putting the timer on the inverters power supply that will be going to a relay, so I cut the power to the dash after probably 5 minutes. I didn't want to have an issue with draining the battery from sitting.

Lastly, I will be plugging the serial to USB adaptor from the MS that I use to for the laptop now directly into the RPi3 for the communication to the dash.

View attachment 597411 View attachment 597413 View attachment 597412
you do realize that you have now caused me to do a great amount of googleing in the future... this idea is glorious.

Reactions: 1 users
you do realize that you have now caused me to do a great amount of googleing in the future... this idea is glorious.
:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:I totally understand, because the MS system allows for so much flexibility. I blame msextra for this as there are people on there using the RPi and there are also others using a tablet with shadow dash. I wanted the whole software running, so I went the RPi route.

I am also debating installing a media player on the RPi, and connect my phone via bluetooth like newer carsl. Then I can take out the CD player and replace the opening with a blank ABS plastic cover. I would use the 3.5mm headphone jack on the RPI to a digital audio decoder which will then go to my 2 amps (one for the 6 speakers and other for the sub).

I have finally been successful in getting a new set of seats. I have been looking on and off for a while now for a set of 2012-17 Mustang black leather seats that the airbag hasn't been deployed. I used to have a cheap set of no-name black cloth racing seats. The issue with them is they only lasted maybe 3-4 years before the foam wore out. It was so bad it was putting my legs to sleep if I drove more than 10-15 minutes. I decided to pull the stock drivers seat out of my other mustang until I found some seats.

The reason it took so long to find seats is most have the airbag deployed. I know I know I could get them fixed, but that means more money on top of what I paid and waiting for them to be done. The biggest issue was when I found a set they were sold before I got there.

One of the largest mustang parts resellers is in driving distance Mustang Parts Salvage (MPS). They had a set of 2013 seats, so I called to see if they were still available. The guy remembered me from all my other calls since they won't call to tell you when new cars come in. We agreed on a price from before well these seats they were selling for more due to the airbag not being deployed and wanted to get rid of the back seats too. I told him I only wanted the fronts and if he would also throw in a set of stock foxbody seat brackets, so I could use them to mount them in the car. I don't want all the electronics, so they are getting cut out of the seat. So I went ahead and paid for them over the phone since they don't hold parts...go figure... But will hold them if you pay...duh:bang:

Finally, I asked if they were open this Saturday to pick them up, but come to find out no they weren't. I asked my beautiful wife and she said that she would be more than happy to go pick them up for me me. Its awesome having a car loving wife.:banana::banana::banana::banana:

IMG_20180118_184325824~2.jpg

IMG_20180118_184350409~2.jpg

While pulling the seats out of the back of the car I noticed there was more than just the fronts. They also put in the back seats too. Ooops on there part but yeah for me if maybe I can fit these in the car with some tweaking.

IMG_20180118_184413011~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Another step forward since the USPS man gifted me another present. I got my paddle shifters in and they are awesome with instant spring back. Slowly coming together.

IMG_20180120_182750783~2.jpg

Damn. A paddle shifted fox. That's gonna be slick
I appreciate your feedback.

Since my knees won't allow me to drive a manual car anymore and miss going through the gears. I needed to find something to fill in that void, but also I enjoy do something different than anyone else.

Last edited:
Slow but steady progress...

Hear are the steps I took to marking the Plexiglass for the location of the LCD screen:

1. I got the LCD screen measured above the steering wheel hump on the bottom

2. Then centered the screen in the middle of the instrument cluster

3. Lastly measured the width and height of the screen and outlined the original template

4. I cut out the outline on the template then marked the plastic for cutting out.

IMG_20180121_142719654~2.jpg
IMG_20180121_142757909~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I finally got in the sheet of black ABS plastic I have been waiting on. I got this message from UPS on a couple of my packages stating "Your package is still on the way, but due to the inclement weather there maybe a potential delay". Still waiting on the instrument cluster lights for turn signals and high beam, but those are coming on the slow boat from Hong Kong. No word on the RPi computer yet either, but have my fingers crossed that it shows up sometime this week.

Next up is cutting the outlined box from my plexiglass and mount the LCD screen, so I can cut the black ABS plastic to finish it off.

Well, I checked on the status of my RPi computer from eBay, well come to find out he's a bad seller. Thank goodness the money was still pending, so I called Paypal and they got the order cancelled with the money back on my account. I guess its time to go find another one as this will stop my forward process on the new dash.

Interesting. Curious to see how you make this work
Me too... Trying to piece together the components for the RPi now that the other eBay seller fell through. I guess its a good thing since I bought a starter kit that gave me everything, but with that it gives me many pieces that I already have including HDMI cable, Ethernet cable, and power cable. I have decided to put together my own package so to speak instead, since one of the main issues with these mini computers is speed. They are totally dependent on the micro SD card, so they recommend buying the fastest card that you can find. That got me googling fastest micro SD card and I found one that does 100 mb/s which is crazy fast compared most good ones do 80 mb/s. One of my goals is to have the display dashboard to be up and running in under 30 sec. The other item is since I live in the south the summer temps do get hot, so I wanted to have a case with a fan and heat sinks for the computer as well.