88 GT Lower Core Support Repair Options

Hi all,

I purchased a new aluminum radiator and Mark VIII fan to install in my 88 GT. However, before I install these parts I want to address my lower radiator core support. The lower support is clearly damaged and I imagine the only option would be to remove and replace it with an aftermarket piece. Unfortunately, I do not have a welder so I couldn't install a new support myself. What should I expect a reputable shop to charge me for install? Also, would you suggest a direct replacement piece offered by someone like LMR and AmericanMuscle or a team z tubular? It is an AC car and I know the team z support does not have condenser mounts. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

PXL_20210814_201946977.jpg PXL_20210814_201956975.jpg PXL_20210814_202015319.jpg PXL_20210814_202041022.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210814_202021721.jpg
    PXL_20210814_202021721.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Sponsors (?)

For me personally, if this is not a "show" car I would just clean that one up, get all the surface rust off, paint or undercoat it and leave it as is. You are looking at a lot of work/money to replace that especially if you would be paying someone else to do the work.

You own a come along? chain the rearend to a tree, attach come along to another tree in front, remove stuff so you attach come along around bent center....Pull on it !

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I guess it won't hurt to try and straighten it out myself. I don't think I can make it any worse. It is definitely no show car, but I want to make it as nice as I can given what I have to work with. I will for sure invest in some POR 15 while I'm at it.

A big hammer after you pull things into place, then some more regular hammer and dolly work is what I’d do if welding was not an option.
Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer is still a good option if you do not want to wait for the POR-15 to eventually wear off.

I had my lower cut out and got a tubular lower support welded in from Team Z. My car doesn't have a/c and condenser but I couldn't be happier. My was in worse shape than yours. I would clean it up and bend it back to shape if I was you.

Last edited: