88 mustang radio harness color codes???

hotrod101786

Sep 3, 2008
im trying to put a cd player in my 88 lx 5.0 (california car if that matters). the stock harness connector is cut off and i dont know what wires go to what. i have my red and yellow wires from my cd player hooked up to a yellow/black wire from my mustang harness and my black wire from cd player hooked up to a black/white wire from my mustang harness. it gives the cd player power and the screen works and all and it turns off when i turn the key off like normal, but ive been trying to hook the speaker wires together and im not getting any sound. my thick red wire from my mustang harness is not hooked up to anything, is that what would power my speakers?? i know my speakers work cuz they worked with my previous radio. ive tried to look up radio wire diagrams online and none of the colors are matching up to what i have in my car.

• Sponsors (?)

Posted via Mobile Device ok nevermind, i totally screwed up on the power wiring but i got it figured out. I still cant figure out what stock harness wire colors go to which speaker.

I haven't delt with mine yet but I found these that might help you out... when it figure it all out could you post back so in a few weeks when I tackle mine I'll have the info :)

Attachments

• 88_radio.GIF
    88_radio.GIF
    20.9 KB · Views: 10,435
  • 89_radio.GIF
    89_radio.GIF
    23.7 KB · Views: 9,660
Get a 9 volt battery and black tape a small length of speaker wire to it. use the other end to "pop" ur speakers one at a time. Usually there are like colored wires in the factory harness. Now what colors, can vary year to year and even in the same year. Ford was TERRIBLE about changing the harness colors. If u have the power figured out then ur already half way there. U can use the above pics as reference but the quickest way to know is to pop the speaker and make sure u have the right + and -. That way u don't get ur speakers out of phase either. If I were u (I did this in my last fox) I'd go to a junk yard and cut a pig tail for the radio out of another fox and wire that in first. That way u can swap much easier later on if ur radio ever dies.

no sound could mean the factory amp is getting in the way...i had the same problem. you could find the factory amp which is a small amp either behind the head unit or under passenger seat...but the way i did it which was pretty easy was i used some speaker wire i had laying around and i wired every speaker one at a time to the new head unit.. works fine sounds awesome

use a tester to match the wires....ull get polarity...when i bought my car the same thing happened..the cut the harness off...i figured it out and its been good for yr and half...easiest way to match the speakers

Looked in book and found 3 types of systems for 88 mustang. 1~ plain radio with 4 speakers. 2~premium sound with graphic eq. And 6 speakers. Than premium sound with out eq. 4 speaker is different colors than 6speaker.

i have 2 speakers up front, 2 in the back, and 2 small ones in my dash( i guess those are tweeters??). heres how i have my cd player wired up: my ground from cd player is hooked to the thick red wire, my constant is hooked to a light green/yellow wire, my ignition is hooked to a yellow/black wire. here are my speaker wires that are left: (light blue/red), (light blue/black), (orange with a very thin light blue stripe), (orange/black), (white/red), (light green), (purple/white). ive tried nearly ever wire combonation and got nothing, but i grabbed a sony xplod 6x9 i had sittin in my house and wired it straight to my cd player and got sound. so im guess maybe the stock mustang amp is out?? :shrug:

my amp is located behind the the radio. its kinda hard to get to tho. i was gonna use the wires that are coming out of amp to the speakers. do i just wire my dash speakers in with my front door panel speakers??

Your dash speakers should be the same wires as ur door speakers.. But since its an eq car, i am not for sure. I have never messed with a eq car. If I were u, i'd just rewire all the speakers myself, buy a nice componet set for the front and go from there.

Ok now my head hurts. You make the call here. Stock system was one channel.the factory amp turns it to 2 channel front and rear. No quad sound will happen if amp is used. The factor eq had fader.this is tricky.are all the plugs cut? And all those wires you are using in 1 harness?

the best thing for you to do right now is to get some speaker wire and wire your speakers straight to your new head unit...the factory amp and wiring is so confusing its just a waste of time...for the front door speakers and dash speaker just wire them together.