Fox 88 mustang

• Sponsors (?)

These are the complete 1988 build numbers from Ford MoCo.
LX 5.0 Sedan (P40E): 5,568 (379 of them Special Service)
LX 5.0 Hatchback (P41E): 16,331
LX 5.0 Convertible (P44E): 5,188
GT Hatchback (P42E): 50,282
GT Convertible (P45E): 18,158

Will need you to expand more on the “limited edition” aspect.

ford never did an official ‘88 special Edition
From what i was told they was offered to the executive's. My in-laws bought 1 of them and there window sticker was 28,000 and change. My car is titled a 4 cylinder, it has a h.o. 302 , svo suspension. That's why i was asking cause it's hard to find anything. Sorry i jumped in with this, I've never been on a forum before .

From what i was told they was offered to the executive's. My in-laws bought 1 of them and there window sticker was 28,000 and change. My car is titled a 4 cylinder, it has a h.o. 302 , svo suspension. That's why i was asking cause it's hard to find anything. Sorry i jumped in with this, I've never been on a forum before .

can we see the sticker?

Possible a post production dealer special which was common.

I bet if you submitted the vin for a Marti report it would come back as a standard 4 cyl Mustang. You might be able to see if it was a Ford internal test car as that would show up on the report. $60 or so to run the report and find out

Last edited:
can we see the sticker?

Possible a post production dealer special which was common.

It certainly never left Ford in that configuration, so likely was modified after production.

I bet if you submitted the vin for a Marti report it would come back as a standard 4 cyl Mustang. You might be able to see if it was a Ford internal test car as that would show up on the report. $60 or so to run the report and find out
I'll try and get my hands on it , my brother-in-law has all the documents on the car.

Reactions: 1 user
@FoxChasis is the resident expert and has http://foxchassis.com/decoders/
a quick search revealed nothing on a 'special edition' in 88.
There should be a metal tag attached to the radiator support on the drivers side kinda between the headlight and the hood latch, look for that, it will have some info on the car but honestly what more likely has happened is someone swapped those parts on it.

@FoxChasis is the resident expert and has http://foxchassis.com/decoders/
a quick search revealed nothing on a 'special edition' in 88.
There should be a metal tag attached to the radiator support on the drivers side kinda between the headlight and the hood latch, look for that, it will have some info on the car but honestly what more likely has happened is someone swapped those parts on it.
This car has been in the same family since new

the $46 report will tell you how it was configured at the factory and what dealer received it. Unsure if it’s worth it to you seeing as you do have a window sticker and that info would be on there as well.

If this is a car you plan on building up documention for, you may want to consider one

Last edited:
$28k and change? If this was offered to execs it was likely under the A plan which should have been a lot cheaper than that. A GT was around $17k.

Ford A and Z plan for employees and retirees, respectively: Invoice - Holdback - Advertising Fee + $275 program fee
Ford X plan preferred vendors, also MCA members: Invoice - 0.4% + $275 program fee
Ford D plan dealer employees: Invoice - Holdback - Advertising Fee + $375 program fee

Found an ‘88 Saleen window sticker.

6A4F7DAE-78E7-48A3-8031-9EFA9C5962FE.jpeg

$23k and change, but does list the base option as a 2.3L engine and they did use SVO brakes.

let’s see what pics the OP produces to confirm.