89 5.0 swap into a 99 mustang any info??

1stanger1

Jul 3, 2005
in my house
hey fellas its been awhile since i have been on here but i was curious if anyone had any dealings with doing this

my car is a 99 mustang that started its life with a v6 auto...and those of you who remember i did the mk8 swap and didnt like the way it ran so i yanked it..now i am installing (well trying to) an 89 5.0 into this car and was just wondering if anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction!

thanks
Alan kendall

• Sponsors (?)

Saw it done a few months back at my buddies shop.
First shop chop jobbed it, they had to fix it up and make it run.

Honestly, i wouldn't recommend it. I don't really see how it's worth the time money or trouble. A 200 rwhp engine doesn't exactly make for an exciting new edge car.
Even with a H/C/I swap it's not that great.

You want to do a swap to another type of modular engine, like a 2v, 3v or 4v check out the modular conversions section of modularfords.com.

yes everyone is right but i already DID the 4.6 dohc swap and didnt like the way it sounded....you just cant compare the sound and feel of a 5.0 to any other motor EVER built so thats why i did it...i actually did have a 331 down in it but it was gonna be too much power for the little woman to drive so i changed it over

yes everyone is right but i already DID the 4.6 dohc swap and didnt like the way it sounded....you just cant compare the sound and feel of a 5.0 to any other motor EVER built so thats why i did it...i actually did have a 331 down in it but it was gonna be too much power for the little woman to drive so i changed it over

An overhead cam engine with aftermarket cams sounds exactly like a 5.0 with cams. Most people could not tell the difference.
I now have a 4.6 engine is my car, and while i loved my H/C/I 302, it's a joke compared to my new setup.
Yes, i miss the sound a bit, but the massive power from 2000rpm to 6500rpm more than makes up for it.

I wouldn't personally do this swap because:

1) a 302 push rod block is weaker than a modular block. The 302 can only handle 500hp max and thats pushing it. Even with a built bottom end the block can still crack. A modular block with a built bottom end can handle as much and even more hp than the stock fuel system will support. Those blocks don't crack.

2) The auto transmissions for the push rod engines are weaker than the modular AODE. You have to do that 1>2>1 shift pattern to hold 2nd gear and everyone who does that ends up with a smoked trans. I heard that a 700R4 will bolt to the 302 push rod so that might be a way to go. Either way you will also need to modify or change the driveshaft/yoke...

3) The EFI on the push rod engines and the OBD system means you won't be able to tune the car yourself unless you purchase a 1200+ dollar software system. The OBD II in the modular cars can be self tuned with sniper for $300 and you can diagnose, read, and clear DTCs yourself.

To do the swap you will need a k-member from a 94-95 GT, a trans that will bolt to the push rod block, a driveshaft/yoke that will work with the trans, a computer for the pushrod engine, the actual engine, the engine and trans wiring harness, headers for the push rod, and probably some other little odds and ends. You would probably be better off just getting a 94-95 GT and call it a day. I've seen them go from $1000-$3500. Or if you prefer the new edge style, you can get a wrecked 94-95 GT and swap over the parts.