Drivetrain 89 foxbody shift probs need help asap broke down dont know wat to do

Hi I have a 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 with AD transmission automatic at first it was starting to read really high just to slip into second gear about 4000 RPM's is when it finally slip into second now it won't go into 2nd or 3rd at all I've rubbed it all the way up to 7000 RPMs and it's still will not shift for the life of me need help ASAP please reply can't figure it out I replaced speed sensor throttle position sensor about to put new new neutral safety switch on hoping that that cures it but broke down on the side of the road need help fast????!!!!?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Check the fluid. If its brownish or smells burnt, the trans is toast and needs rebuilding. Because you describe it a initially working, then getting worse until it wont upshift from 1st at all, it sounds like the symptoms of internal transmission failure.

If this transmission has not already been upgraded, then in stock form they are weak and prone to failure. A good stock AOD will be fine in a stock engine application if it's driven normally. But if the engine has performance upgrades and you drive with leadfoot spirit, the stock AOD wont last.

My guess is, unless you can nurse it along slowly (15-20mph) and get it home or to a repair shop, you need a tow truck.

I'm suspicious personally. Broke down on side of the road yet has changed all these things (That have nothing to do with a transmission shifting) while apparently on the side of the road? Rubbed it (Revved it?) to 7000 rpm....uh huh.....